Eligibility for Financial Aid

You have to complete the FAFSA application and meet any additional requirements for a loan, grant or scholarship. You are eligible to receive financial aid if you meet the following federal and state requirements.

Note: Beginning with the 2012-2013 award year, you can only receive a Pell Grant for up to a maximum of 12 semesters or the equivalent. 

More information about Pell grants


  • You must be enrolled in a certificate, diploma or degree program that is at least 16 credits long
  • You can receive financial aid for development credits (coursework below 1000 level) up to 30 attempted credit hours
  • Classes with a grading method of Audit or Test Out are not eligible for financial aid
  • Courses added after the last day to add/drop full-term courses are not eligible for the federal Pell grant
  • Continuing education and custom training courses are not eligible

Other Qualifications

  • Have a high-school diploma or GED
  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen
  • Not currently be receiving financial aid at another college
  • Not be in default on a student loan
  • Have registered for Selective Service, if you are a male over the age of 17

Maintaining Eligibility 

Once you are a student here, to continue to be eligible for financial aid you need do the following.

  • Make satisfactory academic progress as measured by your GPA (minimum 2.0) and rate of completing courses (minimum 67 percent). Progress is evaluated at the end of each semester.
  • Finish in the  maximum timeframe . Credits up to 150 percent of the number required in your program.
  • Attend your classes (including participation in online courses). If the College administratively withdraws you from a course because you have not attended classes, you will have to pay back all or part of your financial aid (see Federal Refund Policy).
  • Complete any development credits for which you want financial aid in fewer than 30 credit hours.
  • Not be convicted for the possession or sale of illegal drugs for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid such as grants, loans and work study. Read more information about drug convictions (PDF)