Minneapolis College is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, one of 6 regional accrediting agencies in the U.S.
As stated by HLC, “Regional accreditation validates the quality of an institution as a whole and evaluates multiple aspects of an institution ranging from its academic offerings, governance and administration, mission, finances, and resources.”
The HLC has three “pathways” an institution can follow to demonstrate institutional quality. All pathways require institutions to show that they meet the Criteria for Accreditation.
The 5 Criteria for Accreditation
- Criterion One. Mission: The institution’s mission is clear and articulated publicly; it guides the institution’s operations.
- Criterion Two. Integrity: Ethical and Responsible Conduct. The institution acts with integrity; its conduct is ethical and responsible.
- Criterion Three. Teaching and Learning: Quality, Resources, and Support. The institution provides high quality education, wherever and however its offerings are delivered.
- Criterion Four. Teaching and Learning: Evaluation and Improvement. The institution demonstrates responsibility for the quality of its educational programs, learning environments, and support services, and it evaluates their effectiveness for student learning through processes designed to promote continuous improvement.
- Criterion Five. Resources, Planning, and Institutional Effectiveness. The institution’s resources, structures, and processes are sufficient to fulfill its mission, improve the quality of its educational offerings, and respond to future challenges and opportunities. The institution plans for the future.
A key component of meeting AQIP Pathway requirements includes submitting a Systems Portfolio. The Portfolio provides an institution with the opportunity to highlight how it uses processes and systems to achieve institutional goals. In November 2015, Minneapolis College submitted its third Systems Portfolio to the Higher Learning Commission. In 2016, a team of seven peer reviewers provided feedback on the Portfolio and identified areas of improvement within the 6 AQIP categories and for meeting the Criteria for Accreditation.
- View Minneapolis College’s 2016 Systems Appraisal
- View Minneapolis College's 2015 AQIP Systems Portfolio
- Review Minneapolis College’s institutional goals and strategic priorities
- Read an overview of all AQIP pathway requirements
- Review HLC policies: Federal Compliance Packet, Assumed Practices and Criteria for Accreditation