Travel Requirements

The I-20 should be signed each time you leave the U.S. and want to reenter. You will make an appointment to see your international student advisor in T.2500 at least one full month before your scheduled travel date. In some cases, the international student advisor will need to endorse your I-20 on page 3 so that you can reenter the U.S.; in others, it may be necessary to prepare a new I-20 for you. The signature is typically good for one year of travel unless you have graduation and are now on post-completion practical training, in which case it is only good for 6 months.

Every F-1 student or F-2 dependent will need to present these documents to reenter the U.S.:

  • Properly endorsed and valid I-20 form
  • Evidence of financial support
  • Valid passport with a valid U.S. entry visa stamp
  • All previously issued I-20's to document your F-1 history in the U.S.
  • Employment Authorization Document and proof of employment if you are in engaged in optional practical training after completion of studies