Minneapolis College confers three types of awards: associate degrees, diplomas and certificates.
In order to receive an award from Minneapolis College, a student must:
- Complete the specific award requirements;
- Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or better for coursework completed at Minneapolis College;
- Submit a graduation application;
- Earn a specified number of credits from Minneapolis College; (see below) and
- Meet all financial obligations.
See Minneapolis College Policy 3.09 for additional information on graduation requirements.
Review your interactive degree audit (DARS) to check your progress toward program completion.
Within the limitations of Minneapolis College Policy 3.02, a student may earn credits toward an award and graduation by:
- Successfully completing an Minneapolis College course taken for credit;
- Successfully completing an approved directed study proposal;
- Transferring approved credits from another institution;
- Earning credit by examination;
- Completing some or all of the College Level Exam Program (CLEP) with sufficient scores;
- Receiving required scores in some or all of the International Baccalaureate Program; and/or
- Receiving required scores on Advanced Placement exams.
Credits Earned at Minneapolis College
As required by Minneapolis College Policy 3.09, in order to receive an award from Minneapolis College, a student must earn a minimum number of credits from Minneapolis College as follows:
- 20 credits for students seeking an Associate of Arts (A.A), Associate of Fine Arts (A.F.A.), Associate of Science (A.S.) or Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree;
- 12 credits for students seeking an A.A. degree, and transferring from another Minnesota State institution or the University of Minnesota;
- One-third of the credits required for a diploma or certificate
You may graduate either under the requirements in effect at the time the degree, diploma, or certificate is awarded or under the requirements in effect in any of the four previous academic years.
If your initial enrollment at Minneapolis College was prior to Fall 2001, you may graduate under the requirements in effect at the time of your initial enrollment at Minneapolis College.
Students must meet the requirements in one college catalog and may not combine requirements from more than one catalog.