How to Transfer from MCTC to Another School

If you intend to remain in the U.S. and report directly to the new school, you may need to have a transfer recommendation form completed by an MCTC International Student Advisor (ISA). Many schools have their own transfer recommendation form that they will send to you, which you must then give to the MCTC ISA to complete. Keep the following key points in mind:

  • Request that the MCTC ISA transfer your SEVIS record to the new school. The ISA will also need to know when to transfer the record as well as the name of the school. The new school will issue you a new I-20 only after we transfer your SEVIS record to them.
  • When you arrive at the new school you should also report to the ISA at that school and request that he or she complete the transfer & registration process in SEVIS. The deadline for processing a transfer and registering in SEVIS is the 15th day of class.
  • If you intend to transfer to another school through reentry into the U.S, you should present the new I-20 from the new school, evidence of financial support and a passport with a valid F-1 visa stamp at your place of entry to the US.
  • The name of the school on the F-1 visa stamp does not have to match the name of the new school on the I-20 in order for it to be valid for re-entry to the US.
  • You must begin your program at the new school within 5 months of the completion of classes at MCTC.