Graphic Design: Web and Interactive Media
- You will receive hands-on instruction from instructors using a curriculum that reflects current industry standards and which also keeps pace with the continually evolving nature of the Web and interactive design field.
- We are the top-ranked Web and interactive media program in the Minnesota State system.
- Students are part of a tight-knit community and build lasting relationships with each other.
- The program’s award-winning faculty members combine years of real-world professional experience with academic training.
The Graphic Design: Web and Interactive Media program provides the fundamentals for a career in Web design. You’ll gain technical and design skills using current industry-standard software and techniques, getting hands on training from experienced professional instructors who give you plenty of one-on-one attention.
Please select the award below to view the degree options and requirements in the college catalog.
- The program prepares you to use to industry-standard software to create designed Web interactive and print design productions.
- Coursework is taught by experienced faculty members, and covers visual problem solving, art and design principles and production standards.
- You will learn how visual elements such as type, illustration, graphics, photography and animation combine to make effective designs, and also work under tight deadlines to design, compose and produce a well-rounded portfolio necessary for entry into the profession.
- You will have an opportunity to do an internship in Web design, a supervised work experience that provides an important learning experience, as well as a useful link to the job market. You obtain an internship site that supports your special areas of interest and provides opportunities to interact with professionals in their working environment.
- You may choose to join The Design Associates of Minneapolis Community and Technical College (DAM) Club, an eclectic group of aspiring designers who recognize that a little collaboration can go a long way. The club is a student chapter of the Minnesota AIGA, the professional association for design and is open to students pursuing design degrees at Minneapolis College, including Graphic Design Print, Web and Interactive Design, Photography and more.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statics, Graphic Designers with Web site design and animation experience will be especially needed through 2018 as demand increases for design projects for interactive media—Web sites, mobile phones and other technology. Growth in Internet advertising, in particular, is expected to increase the number of designers.
Where You Could Work
- Advertising agencies
- Animation companies and studios
- Corporate creative departments
- Graphic design firms
- Marketing and public relations agencies
- Web design studios
- Potential Job Titles
- Web Designer
- Art Director
- Web Producer
- Web Manager
- Graphic Designer