Photography and Digital Imaging
Photography & Digital Imaging Online:
The Photography and Digital Imaging program integrates the latest digital photo technologies while encouraging your creativity and individual expression. With hands-on training from experienced instructors, you’ll get the skills you need to achieve success as a professional photographer. Upon graduation, you’ll have a professional portfolio and a working knowledge of the digital workflow process.
- Minneapolis College’s Photography and Digital Imaging is unique in its approach to photography. In addition to the creative aspects of photography, you will learn the technical side of photography including software specific to image capture and enhancement and the cameras and lighting used in the studio and on location.
- Faculty are qualified, passionate professionals with extensive skills who have worked as professional photographers. Faculty are selected for their experience within the given subject they teach.
- Cutting Leading edge technology and facilities strengthen the program’s practical experience. You will have access to the latest software, cameras and equipment as well as studios and post-production facilities.
- Minneapolis College’s Photography and Digital Imaging faculty members work closely with the Twin Cities’ commercial photographic community to ensure the curriculum is current and relevant to industry needs.
PHDI Student Gallery
- PHDI Portfolio Show
- PHDI Portfolio Show 3D Gallery
The PHDI Portfolio Show Virtual 3D Gallery is an innovative opportunity to browse the work of graduating Photography students in a 3D gallery environment. This unique platform puts an emphasis on quality over quantity, allowing the viewer to experience the imagery "in place". The 3D Gallery may take a few seconds to load.
- Class Project Work
Please select the award below to view the degree options and requirements in the college catalog.
- You will learn traditional photographic skills: composition, exposure, camerawork and metering and lighting techniques.
- You will get hands-on experience with portraiture, product, studio and location photography.
- You will learn how to use the latest developments in digital photo technology: digital SLR cameras, high-end digital capture backs, motion capture and video editing techniques.
- You will gain familiarity with the complete digital workflow process: from RAW processing to file management to color management through image output.
- You will learn how to develop a professional portfolio that showcases your creativity and skills.
Numerous opportunities exist for you to take on internships, where you can get real world experience before you graduate. You may also choose to become a part of Minneapolis College’s Photo club.
Photography is a highly competitive industry to enter. The decreasing cost of digital cameras has increased the number of amateur photographers and hobbyists which has dampened the demand for professionals.
Employment of self-employed photographers is projected to grow 12 percent from 2016 to 2026. Demand for portrait photographers will remain as people continue to want new portraits. In addition, corporations will continue to require the services of commercial photographers to develop compelling advertisements to sell products. (Bureau of Labor Statistics)
Potential Job Titles
- Commercial photographer (Advertising, Product, Food, Fashion, Lifestyle...)
- Industrial photographer
- Portrait photographer
- Wedding Photographer
- Photographer's Assistant
- Digital Tech
Where You Could Work
- Advertising agencies
- Production companies
- News and media outlets
- Photography Studios