- Our program uses “state of the industry” computer-aided drafting software including AutoCAD, Revit and SketchUp.
- The classroom lab reflects the collaborative studio environment found in an Architect’s office. Each student is assigned their own workstation and computer.
- Instructors are all practicing architects, bringing real-world experience and current trends to the classroom.
- Our downtown location combines the dynamics of an urban campus setting with the close proximity to future employment. Over 50 architectural firms are within blocks of our campus.
In a classroom resembling a typical architectural firm, students will be immersed in the world of Architectural Technology. They will learn what’s required to design a building with computer-aided design (CAD) technology from practicing architects. Students will learn to work effectively with architects and engineers to produce construction drawings for use by contractors.
- Minneapolis College’s Architectural Technology Program will prepare you for a career working with Architects, Engineers, Contractors and product suppliers in the Architectural Industry.
- Projects, presentations and guest lecturers focus on current standards and technology within the industry.
- We integrate “Green” Technology into both design and technical aspects of the program, offering a well-rounded exposure to both.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the best job prospects are for those who have at least two years of post-secondary training. The Society of American Institute for Architects lists nearly 300 architectural firms in Minnesota, about 60 percent of which are based in the Twin Cities Metro Area.
Potential Job Titles
- Engineering Technician
- Interior Designer
- Building Facilities Manager
- CAD Technician
- Architectural Job Captain
Where You Could Work
Careers include jobs at architectural, engineering, interior design and landscape firms plus facilities planning organizations, building product manufacturers and contractors. Can also lead to employment in the following fields: construction management, Design/Build construction, estimating, shop drawing production, product sales, design & drafting.