Apply as a PSEO Student
Challenge yourself academically and lower the overall cost of your college education with PSEO, or Post Secondary Enrollment Options. PSEO is a state-funded program for qualified high-school students to meet high school graduation requirements while earning college credits. The PSEO program pays for your tuition and textbooks for college-level courses (numbered 1000 level or higher) taken for high school and college credit.
If you have been a PSEO student at MCTC and you are graduating from high school, apply as a returning student instead of following the application steps on this page.
If you want to take classes in the summer, are from out-of-state or missed the application deadlines, you may apply for MCTC’s High School Non-PSEO Program.
Is PSEO right for me?
Before you start the application process, talk with your high school counselor and your parents or guardian to get their help in considering the following:
- Am I ready for college academics and a faster pace?
- Have I shown that I’m a responsible person who can get to classes and complete assignments on my own?
- Will I miss not being as involved at my high school?
- What requirements do I need to meet for my high school diploma?
- If I enroll in classes that don’t meet my high school graduation requirements, withdraw from courses, or fail a course, will I still be able to graduate from high school with my class?
- Will I be able to arrange my schedule so I can get to classes on both campuses?
- How will I get there? Since transportation isn’t covered by the program you should also consider how long will it take to travel from one school to the other.
Eligibility for Juniors and Seniors
If you are a current Minnesota high school junior or senior, you may be eligible to take MCTC courses through PSEO if you meet any of these criteria:
- Are a junior with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Are a senior with a GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Are a junior or senior with a GPA of 2.0 or higher, with a letter of recommendation from your high school guidance counselor, teacher or principal saying you are ready for college-level courses
- Meet the prerequisites of the course(s) you’d like to take through Accuplacer placement scores or the ACT
Eligibility for Sophomores
We welcome high school sophomores if you meet the course prerequisites and have earned a “meets” or “exceeds” proficiency level on the 8th grade reading Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment (MCA) test. You may take one approved career and technical education course in a CTE program of study (PSEO 10th Grade Programs). If you earn a C or better in that class, the following semester you can take more career and technical courses. If you continue to earn a C or better, you will be eligible to register for general education classes as a Junior and Senior.
If you do not meet the GPA requirements above, but you want to take one course, you may be considered if you meet all of the following criteria:
- You are a junior or senior with a GPA below 2.0
- Your 8th grade MCA reading test scores meet or exceed the standards
- You meet the prerequisites of the course you are hoping to take
- You meet the prerequisites of the course you’d like to take through Accuplacer placement scores or the ACT
- You have a letter of recommendation from your high school counselor, principal or a teacher saying you are ready for college-level work
If you are a junior or senior who has been given provisional admission to PSEO and you earn a C or better in your first semester, you can register for more courses in subsequent semesters as long as you meet the course prerequisites.
PSEO application deadlines
Your application, placement test results and all required documents need to be submitted to the PSEO Coordinator by the following deadlines. No faxes, please.
- Fall Semester 2017: June 1
- Spring Semester 2018: Dec. 1
The PSEO program is available during fall and spring semesters; it is not available during the summer session.
- Complete the PSEO online application
- The application cannot be started and saved to complete later. Take a look at all of the questions before you get started to make sure you have the information you need to fill out the application.
- After you submit the application, you will receive a confirmation email that includes your new MCTC ID number that you may need for testing and will need for course registration.
- Complete section 1 of the State of Minnesota PSEO Notice of Registration form with your parent or guardian if you are under 18, then give the form to your high school counselor to complete section 2. After you submit the form, the PSEO coordinator will complete section 3.
- Complete the PSEO Supplementary form––the bottom portion needs to be complete so the PSEO Coordinator can share information with your parent or guardian––even if you are under 18.
- Submit a copy of your current high school transcript showing your GPA. If you don’t meet the GPA requirements, you can submit a letter of recommendation from your high school counselor, principal or teacher that specifically says you are ready for college coursework with your high school transcripts.
- Study for and take the placement tests before the application deadline. If you have previously taken the Accuplacer test at your high school, submit a signed Request for Transfer of College Readiness Scores form before the application deadline. If you took the ACT, submit a copy with your paperwork so you can get a testing exemption in the areas where your scores are college-level.
Please submit all PSEO application materials by mail to:
Minneapolis Community and Technical College
Attn: PSEO Coordinator
1501 Hennepin Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55403
After submitting your application
We will contact you by mail to let you know if you have been accepted to the PSEO program after the PSEO application deadline.
If you are accepted into the PSEO program, your letter will also let you know when the PSEO orientation will be held. This orientation is mandatory and designed just for PSEO students. Please don’t register for the MCTC New or Transfer Student orientation.
Keep in mind the program covers tuition and textbooks. The program does not cover transportation and other items that become your property (such as tools). If you have questions or concerns about those costs please contact us to find out if there are resources available to help with the costs.
Registering for classes
You will register for your classes during PSEO orientation. For academic, financial and logistical reasons, you are not eligible to enroll in all MCTC courses (view the list of courses you cannot take). If you intentionally register for courses that are on the list, or if you register to take courses at a college you have not been admitted to, you will be dropped from the courses and you may be responsible for the payment of all costs associated with your enrollment including tuition, student fees, books and supplies.
PSEO students are not allowed to register for MCTC’s developmental courses. These are courses with numbers beginning with a “0”, such as READ 0200.
Questions about applying for the PSEO program
We are happy to help you through this process or answer any questions, feel free to contact us!
Jaszmin Mayes Perkins
Temporary PSEO Coordinator