- Situated within walking distance of the museums, galleries, and theaters, Minneapolis College’s downtown campus provides a unique opportunity for you to engage in current cultural events through the AFA program.
- Coursework in the AFA program is student-focused, with an emphasis on individualized instruction through low student-to-instructor ratios.
- You will work closely with award-winning faculty members, each of whom are experienced instructors and professional artists.
- In the AFA program you will focus on portfolio development and explore career paths through an emphasis on practical, professional resources in the field of Art.
- If you plan to continue your education in a 4-year Arts program, the AFA degree offers a seamless transfer pathway to any MN State college.
The Associate of Fine Arts in Art is a program where can explore artistic works and creative thinking, and offers you an opportunity to think seriously about a career in visual art making. The degree will give you a diverse visual art background culminating in a final art exhibit highlighting each student’s achievement.
- Courses taught in the Arts Department at Minneapolis College will include the formal, technical and expressive qualities of fine art.
- Design elements and principles form the language of art and make up the comprehensive structural facets of its composition. You will learn to identify that language to better understand the surrounding culture and art while practicing the use of formal communication to clarify the content of your art.
- In each course, you are taught the safe and practical use of technical skills and through critiques learn to analyze the art.
- The A.F.A. degree increases your success in transferring to four-year institutions. If your primary interest is in visual art, you will have the incentive to take a balanced selection of coursework.
- The Visual Arts Department uses many areas of the building to develop new offerings such as intaglio printing, gas reduction ceramics firing, acrylic and oil painting, wood sculpture, and a full complement of art history course work. It is not a stretch to say the department is the one of the most comprehensive art programs in the two-year Minnesota State college system.
You will have the opportunity to join Minneapolis College’s Art Club, which allows you to express, experience, interpret and understand the world of art through the examples of media, local artists and the downtown Minneapolis community.
Employment of artists and related workers is expected to grow 12 percent through 2018, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Though competition is intense, there are studios, galleries and clients always looking for artists, as well as commercial work for multimedia artists and animators. A degree in Art gives you an edge up in this exciting and creative field.
Potential Job Titles
- Graphic designer
- Advertising art director
- Technical illustrator
- Web designer
- Art historian
- Commercial or residential interior designer
- Fashion designer
- Practicing studio artist
- Art critic
Where You Could Work
- Advertising agencies
- Nonprofit organizations
- Education institutions
- Galleries and museums
- Self employed