The Herbal Studies certificate program provides a unique opportunity for those interested in herbal medicine, wellness, holistic health, botany and horticulture to study herbal medicine in an academic setting.
Upon completion of the Herbal Studies certificate students will understand traditional and holistic approaches to herbal medicine in addition to current scientific research and herbal product market trends, preparing them for employment in the herbal products field.
- This is the first and only undergraduate certificate award in herbal studies in the U.S.
- Instructors have a broad range of expertise in herbal and traditional medicine as well as many years of post-secondary teaching experience
- You’ll gain many unique skills that will help you launch your career in natural products
- This certificate pairs well with health related degrees for those wishing to have a background in herbal medicine.
- You will gain a background in holistic medicine systems currently used in the United States including Western Herbalism, Native American, Ayurvedic and Traditional Chinese Medicine
- You will develop treatment and safety strategies for herbal medicine use
- You will manufacture herbal products
- You will have an in-depth knowledge of the use of medicinal plants including the 50 top selling herbs in the United States
In Minnesota and throughout the U.S., jobs in the herbal medicine field continue to grow. In 2018, U.S. retail sales of herbal supplements grew 9.4% to 8.8 billion dollars, a twofold growth from 2019 (American Botanical Council). The Nutrition Business Journal estimates that the demand for herbal products is projected to double again by 2023. Minneapolis College is the first and only accredited public institution that offers an herbal studies certificate to give students the knowledge and tools they need to begin their career in this cutting-edge field.
Potential Job Titles
- Herbal industry representative, consultant or manager
- Natural products sales associate
- Herb cultivator or wildcrafter
- Holistic Health Educator
- Holistic Health Practitioner
- Herbal Consultant
- Wellness Coach
- Lifestyle Consultant
- Healthcare Industry Assistant
Where You Could Work
- Herbal product companies
- Starting a business
- Teaching, public speaking, blogging and writing
- Retail environments
- International Import/Export
- Research & Development