Graphic Design: Web and Interactive Media
- Our college is located in downtown Minneapolis, which has one of the largest creative and advertising industries in the country.
- Students become part of a tight-knit community that develops a lasting network which can sustain them throughout their design career.
- With our innovative teaching and curriculum, faculty members combine years of industry experience with their strong academic backgrounds.
- Our advisory committee includes representatives from major ad agencies, Fortune 500 companies, non-profit organizations, and local design firms.
- Our graduates have gone on to successful careers at organizations such as: Adobe, Target, Best Buy, Periscope, General Mills, Clockwork, and 3M.
Do you want an exciting career that merges creativity with technology? Minneapolis College’s Web Design program provides the foundation to build a career in the web design field. You will design and develop user-friendly, visually compelling websites using industry-standard software. Your education will include hands-on training from faculty who have industry experience.
Please select the award below to view the degree options and requirements in the college catalog.
- The program prepares you to use to industry-standard software to create designed Web interactive and print design productions.
- Coursework is taught by experienced faculty members, and covers visual problem solving, art and design principles and production standards.
- You will learn how visual elements such as type, illustration, graphics, photography and animation combine to make effective designs, and also work under tight deadlines to design, compose and produce a well-rounded portfolio necessary for entry into the profession.
- You will have an opportunity to do an internship in Web design, a supervised work experience that provides an important learning experience, as well as a useful link to the job market. You obtain an internship site that supports your special areas of interest and provides opportunities to interact with professionals in their working environment.
- You may choose to join The Design Associates of Minneapolis Community and Technical College (DAM) Club, an eclectic group of aspiring designers who recognize that a little collaboration can go a long way. The club is a student chapter of the Minnesota AIGA, the professional association for design and is open to students pursuing design degrees at Minneapolis College, including Graphic Design Print, Web and Interactive Design, Photography and more.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statics, Graphic Designers with Web site design and animation experience will be especially needed through 2018 as demand increases for design projects for interactive media—Web sites, mobile phones and other technology. Growth in Internet advertising, in particular, is expected to increase the number of designers.
Potential Job Titles
- Web Designer
- Content Strategist
- User Experience Designer
- User Interaction Designer
- Front-End Developer
- Quality Assurance Specialist
- SEO Specialist
- Digital Project Manager
- Technical Support Specialist
- Creative Director
- Social Media Specialist
- Content Manager
- Account Manager
Where You Could Work
- Advertising agencies
- Animation companies and studios
- Corporate creative departments
- Graphic design firms
- Marketing and public relations agencies
- Web design studios
- Potential Job Titles
- Web Designer
- Art Director
- Web Producer
- Web Manager
- Graphic Designer