Play this video with descriptive audio.
Become a valuable part of a dental team with Minneapolis College’s accredited Dental Assistant Program. Whether you are new to the field, currently work in a dental office and want to become a Licensed Dental Assistant or you are a Dental Assistant seeking an expanded functions certificate, Minneapolis College provides the training you need.
- The Dental Office Support Personnel certificate is the only entry into the dental assistant career field—and the only program of its kind in Minnesota.
- The program’s classroom, preclinical and clinical experiences prepare students to take the Certification Examination offered by the Dental Assisting National Board and the Licensure Examination offered by the Minnesota Board of Dentistry.
The program in dental assisting is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. The Commission is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at (312) 440-4653 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611. The Commission’s web address is: http://www.ada.org/100.aspx.
The dental assistant program is approved by the MN Board of Dentistry. The Board can be contacted at (612) 617-2250 or at 2829 University Ave SE Suite 450, Minneapolis MN 55414. The Board's web address is: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Dental Office Support Personnel Certificate is a one-semester program that will prepare you to work in dental offices and clinics providing support to other credentialed dental personnel and/or office staff.
- The Dental Office Support Personnel Certificate program introduces you to common dental terms, equipment and health/safety issues.
- The Dental Assistant Diploma program will increase your knowledge to work chairside with the dentist and his or her patients, perform a variety of patient cares, provide assistance within the business office and/or complete laboratory duties.
- Dental Assistant coursework includes basic and dental sciences, dental materials, chairside assisting, radiology, Minnesota expanded functions and clinical experience. The goal is to ensure you will be an indispensable member of a dental health team.
- The Dental Assistant program’s classroom, preclinical and clinical experiences will prepare you to take the Certification Examination offered by the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) and the Licensure and Jurisprudence Examinations offered by the Minnesota Board of Dentistry.
- The Expanded Functions Dental Assistant Certificate program provides training in order to provide direct patient care in general or specialty dental offices.
Career opportunities for dental assistants have been considered excellent in recent years. According to the U.S. Government's Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in the field has been projected to grow steadily through 2018. Long-term prospects are solid, given such factors as the expanding and aging U.S. population, a heightened focus on preventative dental care, and increasing workloads for dentists (which will drive a need to hire assistants to perform routine tasks).
Potential Job Titles
- Certified Dental Assistant
- Licensed Dental Assistant
- Dental Office Receptionist
- Dental Laboratory Technician
Where You Could Work
- Public and/or private dental offices
- Single- or multiple-provider dental clinics
- General or specialty dental offices
- Dental laboratory
- Dental insurance companies
- Dental supply companies