Transfer Credit Evaluation
Policies and Procedures
Transfer coursework will be evaluated according to the following standards, and in accordance with policies established by Minneapolis College and the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System.
Credit for coursework taken at other institutions will be transferred subject to the following considerations:
- The course to be transferred must be comparable in nature, content and level to courses offered by Minneapolis College. In evaluating courses for transfer equivalency, the standard for review should be no less than 75 percent comparability of course content.
- The mission and educational quality of the sending institution, and the appropriateness of the coursework for meeting degree requirements at Minneapolis College
- Applicability of the coursework to the programs being offered at Minneapolis College
- Whether the institution is regionally accredited
Please see Minneapolis College College Policy 3.02 Earning Academic Credits for more information.
Transfer Grades and GPA
The grades you received at your previous institution(s) will not be calculated into your Minneapolis College grade point average (GPA). However, your transfer GPA will be considered for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
- All college courses in which you have received a grade of A, B, C, D or P (Pass) at regionally accredited, post-secondary institutions shall be considered for transfer.
- If the student’s cumulative GPA at the originating institution is less than 2.00, only grades of C (or P) and higher will be considered, unless the course was completed at a Minnesota State institution where it satisfied a Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) goal requirement.
In most cases general education or Minnesota Transfer Curriculum courses do not have time limits; however, there may be exceptions. As an example there may be time limits for specific courses that are required for particular programs, such as science courses for Nursing and computer related degrees or programs that work with the latest software.
Minneapolis College Credit Residency Requirement
A credit residency requirement indicates the number of credits you must complete through the college in order to graduate. Please see Minneapolis College College Policy 3.09 for more information.
College-level coursework completed at colleges and universities that are not members of one of the six regional accrediting associations may be eligible for credit, requesting a course by course petition after admission by contacting the Registration and Records Office.