Starting Point Tutoring Center Information
The Starting Point Tutoring Center provides free tutoring services for Starting Point students. These include tutoring by appointment and walk-in tutoring. Most of the tutors are professionals with degrees and many years of tutoring and/or teaching experience.
The Tutoring Center is located in T.4300.
The semester hours are generally:
- 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday - Thursday
- 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. on Friday.
How to use the Starting Point Tutoring Center
Know the Rules
- You are allowed 2 appointments per course per week.
- Schedule and cancel tutoring appointments through TutorTrac.
Prepare for the Tutoring Session by Coming with a List of Questions
“I’m stuck, how do I…”
- Again, come prepared with your book, syllabus, and assignment sheet.
- Be prepared to explain what you’re tried, and why it didn’t work.
- Make sure to show your work. Tutors can then see where you made mistakes and how to help you fix those mistakes.
- When working independently, don’t stop the first time you get confused. Continue on with the rest of your homework so that when you’re working with the tutor you can keep asking questions after your first question gets answered.
- When you and the tutor figure out what needs to be fixed be prepared to finish your work independently.
“I just got my assignment back and I didn’t do as well as I expected. Can you review it with me?”
- This is a great way to learn from your mistakes. Everyone will have a test or paper that doesn’t go as well as expected. What went wrong?
- A tutor will go over it with you, explaining where you made mistakes and how to fix them in the future. If you don’t learn from those mistakes the next assignment will probably have the same results as the first.