Apply to Starting Point
We want you to join!
Become a TRIO Starting Point student in 3 easy steps.
- Complete an Application
Applications are available in T4300 or download one here. Bring your completed and signed application to a TRIO Starting Point staff member along with proof of eligibility. Space is limited. Students are accepted into the program on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Note: Admission to the program is not automatic. Completed applications will be evaluated for eligibility and space in the program. If admitted, you will be contacted about the next steps to begin your involvement with TRIO Starting Point.
- Check your messages
Once your application has been turned in with verification documents, you should here back about your acceptance into the program in about 2 weeks. Please make sure your email and phone contact information on your application are correct.
- Meet with your assigned advisor.
Your new Starting Point advisor will contact you to arrange your first meeting. Our advisors are all friendly and inviting people. They are available to answer your questions. During this meeting, they start to get to know you and will discuss your goals and needs as well as how TRIO Starting Point's services can help you.
TRIO Starting Point Eligibility Requirements
Eligible students must:
- Be currently accepted or enrolled at Minneapolis College.
- Plan to graduate from Minneapolis College or transfer to earn a bachelors’ degree.
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal resident.
Eligible students must have at least one of the following:
- Neither parents have a bachelor’s degree.
- Have a documented, diagnosed physical, learning or mental impairment.
- Fit the low-income guidelines (see graph below).
Eligible students must also demonstrate an academic need and be at or above the following course levels:
- Writing: ENGL 0900 or ESOL 0051
- Reading: READ 0100 or ESOL 0042
Federal TRIO Programs Current-Year Low-Income Levels (Effective January 28, 2014 until further notice)
|Size of Family Unity||Total Taxable Income|
* For family units with more than 8 members, add the following amount for each additional family member: $6,090.