Renew Your United States Visa

If you need to travel outside the U.S. and have an expired U.S. entry visa, a new entry visa may be required to re-enter the U.S. Even if you do not have immediate plans to travel outside the U.S. and the visa stamp in your passport is expired, you may still want to renew your visa. Student visas cannot be renewed within the United States.

If you need to renew your visa to re-enter the U.S., you must apply in person to a U.S. Consulate or Embassy. These offices are only located outside of the United States and they hold regular office hours.

  • There may be significant delays before a visa application is approved. Applications should be submitted to the U.S. embassy or consulate as soon as possible.
  • Many U.S. embassies/consulates require pre-arranged appointments.
  • Check the embassy/consulate website or contact the post directly for information on scheduling.

There may be a need for a security clearance before a visa will be granted. Whether you will need a security clearance will depend upon your nationality, country of citizenship, countries visited in the past and your field of study or expertise. The security clearance will minimally take 20 days and may take as long as 6 months.

For an F non-immigrant visa application, the embassy or consulate minimally requires:

  • A SEVIS-generated I-20 that accurately reflects the degree program, major and financial resources and contains a valid reentry signature on page 3
  • Financial support documentation
  • A transcript from each school attended in the U.S.
  • Evidence of a student's intent to return home upon the completion of studies in the U.S.
  • Employment Authorization Document (EAD) if authorized Optional Practical Training
  • A visa application (form DS-156 and DS-158) and fee. There is a supplemental application (DS-157) that must be completed by all male visa applicants between the ages of 16 and 45.
  • It is also recommended that students present a letter from his/her international student advisor that states s/he has maintained good progress toward completion of their educational program, etc.

For more information and to view the applications visit here.