Join the fast paced world of the Health Care field by becoming a Medical Scribe. In Minneapolis College’s program, you will get the skills you need to become a valuable part of a medical office. With hands-on training from experienced faculty, you will become familiar with the latest software programs and learn everything you need to know to join this ever-changing field.
- You will have abundant employment opportunities after graduation. You will be prepared for entry-level administrative positions in virtually any healthcare setting including clinics, doctors’ offices, hospitals, nursing facilities and dental offices.
- Equipped with sought-after administrative skills, graduates can choose where they work and what they do, including self-employment from home.
- Minneapolis College offers flexible schedules and formats, with most courses offered either during the day or at night. Online and hybrid classes offer convenient scheduling options for students.
- A council of industry representatives guides the program. You will gain valuable real-world experience during internships.
- You will develop computer and medical administrative skills including the creation and maintenance of the electronic health record.
- You will gain knowledge of medical terminology, human biology and insurance coding using CPT, ICD-10-CM/PCS and HCPCS codes.
- You will gain hands-on experience with all aspects of the electronic health record
- You will complete transcription from a variety of medical specialty areas
- You will understand both private and government sponsored insurance plans and be able to prepare and transmit claims electronically
- You will also get hands-on experience with practice management software allowing you to electronically prepare patient billing statements and insurance claims.
- You will get training in the latest version of Microsoft Office suite.
Minneapolis College encourages and supports students to seek internships, which can be applied toward college credit.
Rapid growth in the health services industry – as well as an increase in the number of medical tests, treatments and procedures performed - will fuel the demand for medical office assistants. Good job prospects are projected, especially for those with a strong understanding of technology and computer software. In addition, more technicians will be needed to complete the new responsibilities associated with electronic medical records.
Potential Job Titles
- Medical Scribe
Where You Could Work
- Medical offices and clinics
- Nursing homes
- Dental offices
- Insurance companies