Computer Support & Network Administration
- Instructors with real-world expertise in business and industry experience lead classes and cover the various program areas.
- Many Information Technology courses are geared toward vendor-based and vendor-neutral industry standard certifications such as those from Microsoft, Cisco and CompTIA. Several industry certification preparation electives are offered.
- You will graduate with the valuable teamwork, technical, problem solving, interpersonal and communication skills that employers are seeking.
- Many courses are offered during the day and at night. Classes are taught in varied formats: classroom, online and hybrid (combines classroom and online). Core and mandatory courses are offered every semester.
- Computer learning labs feature small class sizes and are designed for individual work on computers and small group meetings.
Minneapolis College's Computer Support and Network Administration degree provides a comprehensive, industry-focused training on network support and Internet technologies. This fast-paced program uses state-of-the-art technology and prepares you for success through training in network administration, client/server installation and support and database implementation. Instructors with business and industry experience guide you through this program that will give you a leg up in this exciting industry.
Please select the award below to view the degree options and requirements in the college catalog.
- Computer Support and Network Administration A.A.S. Degree—60 credits
- Computer Support and Network Administrator Diploma—54 credits
- Information Assurance Professional Diploma—50 credits
- Cisco Network Administrator Certificate—27 credits
- Computer Security Specialist Certificate—27 credits
- Database Administrator Certificate—27 credits
- Linux Network Administrator Certificate—27 credits
- Information Technology Fundamentals Certificate—22 credits
- Microsoft Network Administrator Certificate—27 credits
- Course Descriptions & Outlines
- Transfer Agreements
- You will learn how to install, configure and maintain computer hardware, protocols, operating systems, software and internet-working devices, with special emphasis on developing troubleshooting skills.
- Instructors with business and industry experience lead classes and cover key topics such as network administration, client/server installation and support, Web server management, database implementation and network security.
- You will have the chance to work in groups with other class members to learn valuable teamwork and communication skills that reflect the real-world soft-skill requirements.
- Many of the Information Technology courses are geared toward vendor-based and vendor-neutral industry standard certifications such as those from Microsoft, Cisco and CompTIA.
- You'll have the opportunity to participate in various student club activities, technology competitions and industry events.
- You will also have the opportunity to participate in valuable learning activities such as internships, student learning experiences and the Information Technology Club.
The number of businesses using computers continues to grow, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. With more staff using computers, companies are hiring on-site support specialists to solve problems. Also, more complex software is available for people to use on their home computers. These users also need support staff to answer their questions. In addition, new programs are being created for wireless Internet. Additional specialists will be needed to teach people how to use these programs.
Potential Job Titles
- Computer Specialist
- Network Technician
- Help Desk Analyst
- Network Support Technician
- Information Technology Specialist
- Database Administrator
- Computer Security Specialist
Where You Could Work
- Information technology departments
- Network administration
- Internet service providers
- IT consulting firms
- Training centers
- Technology vendors
- Software consulting firms
- Help desk centers
- Technical support
- Application software developers
- Web developers