The Promise Scholarship
For the 2018-2019 academic school year, the Minneapolis College Foundation is offering scholarships to Cedar Riverside and North Minneapolis residents. Students are eligible to receive a scholarship to cover tuition, books and a Metro Transit bus pass, up to $500 per semester.
- Must be a Cedar Riverside or North Minneapolis resident
- Must meet the criteria to apply for federal financial aid (FAFSA). Apply at fafsa.ed.gov (FAFSA must be complete and on file with the Minneapolis College Financial Aid Office)
- Must meet all assessment and academic requirements of the program in which the student is enrolling
- Meet the family adjusted gross income cap of $65,000
- Minimum age requirement of 21 years old
- Must enroll full-time in 12 credits per semester in a Nursing, Health Science & Public Services OR Trade Technologies major (see list below)
- Must be tracking to complete the academic program within three consecutive years
- Must maintain a 2.5 grade point average to remain eligible for the scholarship
- Each applicant will submit a one-page, typed essay outlining his or her career/educational goals and how enrollment at Minneapolis College will advance those goals
About Kirk E. Washington
Kirk E. Washington Jr. was a proud graduate of Minneapolis Community and Technical College receiving his A.S. in Community Development in 2015. A longtime resident of North Minneapolis, Kirk served as a creative catalyst for Minneapolis College students, faculty and staff to more deeply engage with urban communities facing barriers to access in higher education and the arts.
This memorial scholarship fund has been created in his honor and is designed to keep his legacy of creativity, academic scholarship and community empowerment alive and growing.