Mathematics: Transfer Pathway, A.A.
The Mathematics Transfer Pathway A.A. offers students a powerful option: the opportunity to complete an Associate of Arts degree with course credits that directly transfer to designated Mathematics bachelor’s degree programs at Minnesota State universities*.
The curriculum has been specifically designed so that students completing this pathway degree and transferring to one of the 7 Minnesota State universities enter the university with junior-year status. All courses in the Transfer Pathway associate degree will directly transfer and apply to the designated bachelor’s degree programs in a related field.
Minneapolis College’s innovative math program encourages exploration and serves a diverse population. If you plan to continue math studies at a Minnesota State 4-year college or university or need refresher courses to prepare you for other majors, the math program offers extensive support at all math levels.
*This transfer pathway in Associate of Arts in Mathematics will transfer to the following majors:
- Bemidji State University: Mathematics, B.S.
- Metropolitan State University: Industrial and Applied Mathematics, B.S.
- Minnesota State University, Mankato: Mathematics, B.S.
- Minnesota State University, Moorhead: Mathematics, B.A. or Mathematics, B.S.
- Southwest Minnesota State University: Mathematics, B.A.
- St. Cloud State University: Mathematics, B.A.
- Winona State University: Mathematics, B.A.
Minneapolis College’s innovative math program encourages exploration and serves a diverse population. If you plan to continue math studies at a 4-year college or university or need refresher courses to prepare you for other majors, the math program offers extensive support at all math levels.
- The Minneapolis College Math Department encourages exploration and evaluation of innovative approaches to teaching mathematics.
- The Math Club at Minneapolis College provides an engaging environment to further your interest in mathematical problem solving and mathematical theory.
- The College's Math Department encourages you to participate in the Student Mathematics League (SML) competition. The SML consists of more than 165 colleges in more than 35 states involving over eight thousand community college math students.
- The College offers mini-sessions and tutors to help you with coursework.
- Minneapolis College offers a comprehensive collection of courses from developmental through second year calculus.
- Minneapolis College’s Math department provides a range of developmental courses that allow you to begin a mathematics sequence at a stage appropriate to their numeracy level.
- The department also provides service courses you need for technology, business and liberal arts programs and provides the major sequence courses for you if you intend to transfer in Mathematics, Science, Computer Science, Engineering and Health Professions.
- Minneapolis College ensures that completing your Freshman/Sophomore math sequence will prepare you to transfer as a junior at four-year schools on more than equal terms with your non-transfer peers.
There are numerous opportunities to engage in student study groups while studying Mathematics at Minneapolis College. You may also choose to participate in Math Club, Engineering Club or in Student Mathematics League competitions.
Careercast.com released a study in 2009 that listed mathematician as the top job in the United States. An A.S. degree in Mathematics is especially useful in that it serves as the foundation for a wide range of careers and fields of study, including a computer information technology, business and statistics.
Potential Job Titles
- Math Teacher
- Computer Scientist
- Operations Research Scientist
- Cryptography specialist
- Financial Analyst
Where You Could Work
- Actuary Companies
- Operations Research
- Statistical Consulting Firms
- Research Institutions