Pharmacy technicians assist licensed pharmacists dispense prescription medications in pharmacies. Minneapolis College’s Pharmacy Technician program will prepare you to work in a pharmacy and take a certification examination. Your hands-on training will include what you need to be successful after completing the program, including an internship with a local retail pharmacy.
With this program, you can work with your advisor to develop an individualized program of courses to prepare for a job in a pharmacy or courses that will help you to complete the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) requirements or prerequisites for other health careers.
- You can complete your certificate in as little as one semester.
- You will gain hands-on experience working in one of our partner retail pharmacies in an 80-hour internship.
- Minneapolis College's program was developed in conjunction with community partners, taking into careful consideration the current workforce needs of retail pharmacies.
- This program will allow you to develop an individual pathway towards further healthcare career goals.
- You will be trained to work in a retail pharmacy.
- You will gain an understanding of ethics and patient confidentiality.
- You will learn principles of common human diseases and their pharmaceutical treatments and examine social influences on diseases and treatment.
- You will develop a critical eye to detail and organizational skills.
- You will gain hands-on experience in using syringes and managing other compounding devices.
This program includes an internship with a local retail pharmacy such as Target, Walgreens or other retailers.
A report by Economic Modeling Specialists, Inc. from the Spring of 2013 indicates that in the 7 county twin city area Pharmacy Technicians earn a median wage of $15.37 per hour and that a 31% increase in demand is to be expected between 2010 and 2020, raising the number of positions from 3616 to 4736.
Potential Job Titles
- Pharmacy Technician
- Community Pharmacy Technician
Where You Could Work
- Retail pharmacies