- You can complete your certificate in as little as one semester.
- You will gain hands-on experience working in one of our partner retail pharmacies in an 80-hour internship.
- Minneapolis College's program was developed in conjunction with community partners, taking into careful consideration the current workforce needs of retail pharmacies.
- This program will allow you to develop an individual pathway towards further healthcare career goals.
Pharmacy technicians assist licensed pharmacists dispense prescription medications in pharmacies. Minneapolis College’s Pharmacy Technician program will prepare you to work in a pharmacy and take a certification examination. Your hands-on training will include what you need to be successful after completing the program, including an internship with a local retail pharmacy. With this program, you can work with your advisor to develop an individualized program of courses to prepare for a job in a pharmacy or courses that will help you to complete the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) requirements or prerequisites for other health careers.
- You will be trained to work in a retail pharmacy.
- You will gain an understanding of ethics and patient confidentiality.
- You will learn principles of common human diseases and their pharmaceutical treatments and examine social influences on diseases and treatment.
- You will develop a critical eye to detail and organizational skills.
- You will gain hands-on experience in using syringes and managing other compounding devices.
This program includes an internship with a local retail pharmacy such as Target, Walgreens or other retailers.
A report by Economic Modeling Specialists, Inc. from the Spring of 2013 indicates that in the 7 county twin city area Pharmacy Technicians earn a median wage of $15.37 per hour and that a 31% increase in demand is to be expected between 2010 and 2020, raising the number of positions from 3616 to 4736.
Potential Job Titles
- Pharmacy Technician
- Community Pharmacy Technician
Where You Could Work
- Retail pharmacies