.The Herbal Studies certificate program provides a unique opportunity for those interested in herbal medicine, wellness, holistic health, botany and horticulture to study herbal medicine in an academic setting.
Upon completion of the Herbal Studies certificate students will understand traditional and holistic approaches to herbal medicine in addition to current scientific research and herbal product market trends, preparing them for employment in the herbal products field.
- This is the first and only undergraduate certificate award in herbal studies in the U.S.
- Instructors have a broad range of expertise in herbal and traditional medicine as well as many years of post-secondary teaching experience
- You’ll gain many unique skills that will help you launch your career in natural products
- This certificate pairs well with health related degrees for those wishing to have a background in herbal medicine.
- You will gain a background in holistic medicine systems currently used in the United States including Western Herbalism, Native American, Ayurvedic and Traditional Chinese Medicine
- You will develop treatment and safety strategies for herbal medicine use
- You will manufacture herbal products
- You will have an in-depth knowledge of the use of medicinal plants including the 50 top selling herbs in the United States
2012 marks the 9th year in a row that sales of herbal dietary products have increased, with an increase of 5.5% in overall sales according to a market report by the American Botanical Council. Increases of sales and interest in herbal medicine have created a demand for those with knowledge of herbal products. In Minnesota, there are a growing number of natural product retailers who are seeking employees with herbal product expertise.
Potential Job Titles
- Herbal industry representative, consultant, or manager
- Natural products sales associate
- Herb cultivator or wildcrafter
Where You Could Work
- Herbal Product companies
- Natural Product retailers