Facebook Pixel Code

Student Services

Accessibility and Accommodations

Students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors are encouraged to report potential accessibility issues or concerns regarding programs, services, and activities at Minneapolis Community and Technical College to the Accessibility Resource Center as soon as possible. As part of the interactive process of creating a universally accessible campus, students may present identified needs for accommodations. To request an accommodation, students will need to meet with and Accessibility Specialist and register with the Accessibility Resource Center.

How do I request accommodations?

Accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis. To request accommodations, students must meet with an Accessibility Specialist to discuss their accessibility concerns or barriers and provide appropriate disability documentation. During this conversation you will need to be able to identify what your disability is and how the program, service, or activity at Minneapolis Community and Technical College is created in a way that you are unable to access it due to your disability. Often this means that the Accessibility Specialist will ask you a lot of questions so they can better understand your experiences in a variety of situations and environments. Throughout this process you will jointly explore options to determine reasonable accommodations to ensure you are able to access the program, service, or activity.

If during this process an accommodation is approved that will need faculty involvement, the Accessibility Specialist will provide you with a sealed envelope with an accommodation notification in it. You will need to deliver this to your instructor as the final step in implementing the approved accommodation.

If you have any difficulty with the accommodation process be sure to contact the Accessibility Resource Center immediately, so we can address the issue. This process will need to be repeated each semester, for each class, throughout your time here at Minneapolis Community and Technical College.

What are reasonable accommodations?

Reasonable accommodations are academic adjustments made to courses, programs, or policies. The purpose of accommodations is to remove or minimize disability-related barriers. Reasonable accommodations must not compromise standards or fundamentally alter essential elements of a course, program, or policy. Reasonable accommodations are not retroactive.

What is considered appropriate disability documentation?

The nature of your disability will determine what documentation you will need to provide. It is recommended that you contact the Accessibility Resource Center for clarification on this based on your actual disability. However, below you will find rough documentation guidelines.

  1. Be typed or printed on official letterhead and signed by an evaluator qualified to make the diagnosis
  2. Clearly state the diagnosed disability
    Specific Learning Disabilities require full learning disability testing results
  3. Include student’s name and either student ID number or date of birth
  4. If possible, describe the student’s current functional limitations or symptoms as they relate to an academic setting

Students with high school IEPs or 504 Plans are welcome to submit them for consideration. If you choose to do this, you will need to also submit your most recent Evaluation. The Accessibility Resource Center will review the documentation to determine if there is enough information in it to determine disability status at the college level. Be aware that your high school IEP or 504 Plan is written to meet requirements under the Individuals with Disabilities Educational Act (IDEA), which does not apply at the college level. If we are unable to accept your high school IEP or 504 Plan as appropriate disability documentation, we will explain what is missing and discuss your options with you.

How do I schedule an appointment?

To schedule an appointment with one of our Accessibility Specialists, please call our front desk at 612-659-6730 or stop by the Accessibility Resource Center in T.2400.

Contact Us

For more information, contact the Accessibility Resource Center