What is the Power of YOU?
The Power of YOU is a program that makes college available tuition-free. Power of You funding covers the cost of tuition and fees after your state and federal grants are applied for two years or up to 72 credits at Minneapolis Community and Technical College (MCTC). POY funds do not cover books, transportation, or housing costs. The Power of YOU supports as many students as possible based on student need and funds available for the program.
If you begin the Power of YOU at MCTC, you may be eligible for merit-based scholarships to continue on to earn a baccalaureate (four-year) degree at Augsburg College.
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Graduate in 2017 from one of the following schools:
- Minneapolis public, alternative, or participating charter high school
- Saint Paul public, alternative, or participating charter high school
- Brooklyn Center
- Columbia Heights
- Destination: Diploma to Degree (successful participants)
- Henry Sibley Senior High
- Robbinsdale Armstrong
- Robbinsdale Cooper
- Roseville Area Senior High
- Simley Senior High
- South St. Paul Senior High
- Tartan Senior High
- Woodbury Senior High
- Meet the criteria to apply for federal financial aid (FAFSA).
- Meet the family adjusted gross income cap of $75,000.
- Take the assessment tests and score above ABE in two or more placements.
- Complete the application process by May 1, 2017.
- Acceptance into the Power of YOU program is by invitation only.
- Submit your final high school transcript or a copy of your high school diploma.
A college education is an important and necessary step to reach your personal and career goals. By 2010, two-thirds of the jobs will require education and skills beyond high school. Learn more about why you should get a degree
How will the Power of YOU help you succeed in college?
- Along with awarded federal and state grant dollars, the Power of YOU will enable you to attend college tuition-free.
- Together with your Power of YOU advisor you will develop an academic plan.
- Mandatory seminars and workshops help you develop critical thinking skills to perform academically and grow personally.
- The program provides opportunities for you to engage with your peers, faculty and professional staff.
- The Power of YOU program helps you integrate what they learn in the classroom with activities outside of the classroom.
- Power of YOU connects you to various MCTC support services that ease your transition to college.
Power of YOU Students Make Blankets
MCTC Power of YOU (POY) students made blankets to donate to Interfaith Outreach and Community Partners before the winter holidays. POY students perform 20 hours of volunteering each semester.View Photos
Academic success and commitment to community
MCTC student Nik Linde uses his mentoring experiences as a launchpad to success.Read More
Getting a college education seemed out of reach for Korey Southerland due to her challenging life circumstances. Through the Power of YOU program at MCTC, she found the courage to pursue her dreams of earning a bachelor's degree and making a valuable contribution to society.Read More