Facebook Pixel Code


Latino students!

"MCTC's low cost has made it easier for me to go to college
and work at the same time. I can attend college without taking out loans."

-Estefania Navarro, Star Scholars advisor

"I received a scholarship from MCTC. I can attend college regardless of being an undocumented student."
-Julio Martinez, Star Scholars student

MCTC offers many services for Latino students. We are here to help you reach your education and career goals.

Programs and Resources

120+ Educational Programs

Where do you want to go? MCTC offers more than 120 educational programs to help you accomplish your career goals. We're here to get you there. Explore areas of study at MCTC

Power of YOU

The Power of YOU program makes college available tuition-free for eligible students. The program covers the cost of tuition and fees for two years or up to 72 credits at MCTC through state and federal grants and private scholarships. Learn more about the Power of YOU

Star Scholars

The Star Scholar Program brings all the benefits of the Power of You to eligible undocumented students. Star Scholars funding covers the cost of tuition and fees after your state grants are applied, for two years or up to 72 credits at MCTC. Learn more about Star Scholars

Xicanos Latinos Unidos (XLU)

XLU is a coalition of students of various Spanish-speaking countries. The club raises awareness through peer support, cultural activities and community outreach projects. For more information, send an email to XLU or like XLU on Facebook.


"NAVIGATE was created to address the growing need for resources that help immigrant students, regardless of immigration status, in Minnesota to pursue higher education. Our team is made up of college students ranging from freshman to seniors and graduates of high schools and universities." —NavigateMN.org


Scholarships are available to MCTC students, including those applying for the Minnesota Dream Act. Scholarship opportunities at MCTC

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to the questions most frequently asked by Latino students.

Yes. Providing a Social Security number is voluntary and NOT required.

Deferred Action is a policy of the Federal government (and NOT a law) that allows those undocumented immigrants who are currently under the age of 31 to stay in the United States for 2 years, subject to renewal if they have a job or are in school.

Although you may have a work permit, driver's license, student enrollment card, "undocumented" in this case refers to an undocumented entry into a country or an undocumented status after a visa has expired, no longer having a valid visa (H1 B) document.

No. You don't have to come to school every day. At MCTC, you pick your own schedule and how many credits you want to take.

You need a high school diploma or a GED (General Education Development) diploma. After you are admitted, a placement test will determine where you start your coursework at MCTC.

The MN Dream Act provides in-state resident tuition rates at public colleges and universities, state financial aid available to students who meet state residency requirements, and privately funded financial aid through public colleges and universities to undocumented students who meet the following criteria:

  • Attended a Minnesota high school for at least 3 years; and
  • Graduated from a Minnesota high school or earned a GED in Minnesota; and
  • Registered with the U.S. Selective Service (applies only to males 18 to 25 years old); and
  • Provide documentation to show they have applied for lawful immigration status but only if a federal process exists for a student to do so (does not include applying for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals). There is currently not a federal process in place, so this documentation is not currently required.

Visit the Minnesota Office of Higher Education website for more information about the Minnesota Dream Act

Undocumented Students

MCTC is committed to serving students and assisting them to reach their educational goals, regardless of citizenship status. This guide is meant to help an undocumented student understand the services available to them on campus and other tips to help them succeed.

Services are the same for undocumented students. Read more about Accessibility Resources

Services are the same for undocumented students.

There is no federal or state law that prohibits the admission of undocumented immigrants to U.S. colleges, public or private. Federal or state laws do not require students to prove citizenship in order to enter U.S. institutions of higher education.

On the college application, it is important to include your date of birth. Although date of birth is optional, it is often used as a means to verify identification when accessing services. How to apply

Services are the same for undocumented students. Read more about Academic Advising

Services are the same for undocumented students. Visit the MCTC Bookstore website

Services are the same for undocumented students. Contact Business Services

Services are the same for undocumented students. Read more about Career Services

Undocumented students can apply for state financial aid by completing the MN Dream Act State Financial Aid Application online. Undocumented students are not eligible for federal aid programs through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The MCTC Foundation Scholarships require that a student is either eligible to complete the FAFSA or an international student here on an F-1 Student Visa.

Undocumented students can borrow through the Minnesota SELF loan program as long as they have a credit-worthy cosigner who is a U.S. citizen.

You may enroll in the automated FACTS tuition payment plan offered by Nelnet. Monthly payments are deducted from your financial account and transferred to the college. Learn more about paying tuition

Students who are eligible to work can work at on-campus jobs only through departmental funding (i.e. they are not eligible for state or federal work-study funds).

Services are the same for undocumented students.

To log onto library computers, students use their StarID and network password. To check out materials from the MCTC Library, students need their MCTC Campus Card. To access electronic databases and books from off campus, students use their student ID number (the 14-digit number on the back of your MCTC Campus Card). Visit the MCTC Library website

Services are the same for undocumented students.

We require photo identification to assist students with their education records because state and federal law protect students’ privacy. We will ask for the student’s StarID to retrieve the student record.

If a student does not know their StarID, we will ask for other information to identify them. Name, address, date of birth are some data elements we can match on for students who do not have a Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. Learn more about Registration and Records

Services are the same for undocumented students. Find out more about computer labs and tech support

Services are the same for undocumented students. Read more about Student Life at MCTC

Services are the same for undocumented students. See all the Support Services offered at MCTC

Services are the same for undocumented students.

All students need to provide photo identification prior to testing. Read more about Accuplacer Testing

Services are the same for undocumented students. Visit the Learning Center for more information on tutoring

International Students

You may apply as an international student if you are not a U.S. citizen and not an immigrant. Visit the International Student page for more information

Contact Us

Estefania Navarro
Star Scholars Advisor
Email: estefania.navarro@minneapolis.edu
Phone: 612-659-6641