Facebook Pixel Code


Visiting Student FAQ

Can I just register for the classes that I want to take?

If you are a Minnesota State (formerly MnSCU) student and you meet all the requirements, you can register for MCTC classes via your home institution's eServices. Select "MCTC" from the drop down menu in the colleges/universities section.

If you are enrolled at a college or university outside the Minnesota State system, complete the steps listed under the visiting students without a StarID section.

If you plan to complete a program here (diploma, degree or certificate), or if you are an international student, please follow the admissions process.

Do I have to take the College placement test as a visiting student?

Visiting students, must meet the course prerequisites and placement requirements. Many visiting students are exempt based on previous completed college level coursework. Check the course page for restrictions to determine if you meet the requirements. If you meet the requirements, submit your unofficial transcript with your registration form. If you haven't met them, you can take the placement test at MCTC.

Can I get financial aid?

Non-degree-seeking students are not eligible for financial aid from MCTC. To be eligible for financial aid, you must be seeking an award (degree, diploma, some certificates). If you are visiting us from another school, talk to your home institution about financial aid.

I have decided to seek an award, what do I need to do?

Apply to MCTC as a transfer student

Where can I go for help? 

Advisors are located in the Admissions and Advising suite (T.2500) and meet with prospective students regarding admission to the College, programs and services available, and the steps to enrollment.

Do I have to attend a New Student Advising and Registration Session? 

As a visiting student, you are not required to attend an advising and registration session.

How do I register for classes?

You will be registered for your classes by MCTC Registration and Records staff if you meet the requirements for the class. You will be notified via email when your request has been processed or if we need additional information.

How will I know which courses transfer back to my school?

We recommend that you ask your home institution, or you can visit Transferology, an online tool that helps you plan for transfer.

Related Links

Have a question?

Questions? Ask Us!

Find answers to your questions and ask us!

Ask a question