College Policy 2.05.02
Evacuation Procedures for Students and Employees With Disabilities
In the event the fire alarm is sounded in any building on the MCTC campus, or an emergency evacuation is warranted for other reasons, the following procedures shall be used to assist in the timely and safe evacuation of mobility and sensory impaired students and employees.
Part 1. Responsibility
- Instructors and supervisors who have mobility or sensory impaired individuals in a classroom or work area shall ask the individual if they require assistance during an emergency evacuation. If assistance is needed, instructors and supervisors shall escort or direct the individual outside or to the nearest evacuation area as designated below.
- The College has designated emergency response teams with authority to coordinate and lead the evacuation process. Until the response of such team(s), the Public Safety and Facilities staff shall send representatives to the designated evacuation areas to assist with the evacuation if warranted of individuals waiting at these sites.
Part 2. Evacuation Areas
- Kopp Hall: First floor hallway west of College Advancement. Avoid the lobby and other areas exposed to exterior glass. Mobility impairments: 2nd floor near K2700 by elevator; 3rd floor near K3355 by elevator.
- Bowman Hall (Gym): Physical education basement hallway and locker rooms. Keep out of gym in severe weather to avoid possible roof collapse.
- T-Building: Entire basement is safe. Evacuate 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors to basement by Stairwell A (near Hennepin Skyway) or stairwell B (near T.2300). Evacuate 4th and 5th floors to basement by Stairwell A. Stairwells C, D, and E do not go to the basement. Mobility impairments: Basement stay in place. Floors 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 the primary safe areas are the landings in Stairwell A. Alternate safe areas are landings in Stairwell C.
- Fine Arts Building: Fine Arts 1st and 2nd floors evacuate to Helland Center basement via Stairwell D, southeast Helland Center stairwell. Mobility impairments: Fine Arts 1st floor evacuate to H.104 hallway area. Fine Arts 2nd floor evacuate to rest rooms vicinity of H2200.
- Helland Center: Entire basement is safe. Evacuate 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors to basement using Stairwells B,C and D. Evacuate 4th and 5th floors to Helland Center basement by stairwell B, northwest stairwell. Mobility impairments: Basement stay in place. 1st floor to H1200 interior hallway. 2nd floor move to rest rooms near H.2200. 3rd floor near elevator and restrooms, 4th floor to H4004 interior hallway. 5th floor to H5003 interior hallway.
- Wells Building: All levels evacuate to the basement by nearest route. Mobility impairments: to 1st floor hallway in south wing.
- Wheelock Whitney Hall: Library, evacuate to rooms L.1300 and L.1200. 3rd floor evacuate to L.1300 and L.1200. If the library is closed follow Kopp Hall evacuation process. Mobility impairments:To elevator lobby areas on 2nd or 3rd floor.
- Parking Ramp: All basement level stairwells and basement elevator lobby are safe areas.
- Science Building: All levels evacuate to the basement by nearest route. Mobility impairments: to Stairwell "A" 1st, 2nd and 3rd floor stair lobbies.
- Management Education Center: All levels evacuate to the basement by nearest route. (Staff or Faculty to unlock). Mobility impairments:To Elevator lobby areas on the 1st or 2nd floor.
- Aviation evacuate to the designated safe shelter area(s).
Date effective: 7/1/1999
Date last amended: 1/1/2012