Associate in Arts
The Associate in Arts (A.A.) degree is designed for you to develop entry-level career skills or earn your first two years of college credits for transfer to earn your bachelor’s degree. This degree is a general liberal arts degree and 40 of the 60 credits earned must be taken within the Minnesota General Education Transfer Curriculum (MnTC). If you plan to transfer, work closely with your admissions and academic advisors to be sure you are taking the right classes to meet your goals.
Program start and location
Students are accepted into this program in the fall, spring or summer. Courses are taught on MCTC’s main campus.
Degree options and requirements
Associate in Arts A.A. Degree—60 credits
What you will learn
- You will enhance your existing knowledge and develop a broader understanding of social change in a global context.
- You will learn to write effectively, think analytically and work as a team.
- You will earn credits in the MnTC goal areas of written and oral communication, critical thinking, natural science, mathematical and logical reasoning, history and the social and behavioral sciences, humanities and fine arts, human diversity, global perspective, ethical and civic responsibility, and people and the environment.
- You will have the ability to meet pre-major requirements for your anticipated four-year degree.
Points of pride
- Our instructors have real world experience and bring their expertise in business and industry to the classroom.
- You’ll gain in-demand professional skills in communication, collaboration and teamwork.
- We offer a flexible schedule, allowing you to choose courses during the day, at night or online, providing convenient scheduling options.
Where you could work
- Small and medium-sized businesses
- Government agencies
- Nonprofit organizations
Potential job titles
- Customer service professional
- Retail sales associate
- Patient services representative
In coming years, the number of jobs requiring a college credential is projected to grow twice as fast as those requiring no college experience. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, those with an Associate degree are more likely to be employed and earn more than those who have no college degree at all.
- Downtown Minneapolis offers a wealth of opportunities for students to apply for with local companies and organizations.
- We have a vibrant Student Life program so you can connect with others, make meaningful contributions and develop leadership skills.
Earn your bachelor’s degree with the Auggie Plan!
Follow a defined pathway to earn your two-year associate degree from Minneapolis Community and Technical College then seamlessly transfer to Augsburg College to finish your bachelor’s degree.Learn More
Matthew McKenney, Civil Rights Scholarship Winner
Thanks to a civil rights scholarship, MCTC student Matthew McKenney participated in the summer course Race in America: Then and NowRead More