Student Services

Travel Requirements

Make an appointment to see an ISA in T.2500 at least one full week before you depart Minnesota. In some cases, the ISA will need to endorse your I-20 on p.3 so that you can reenter the U.S.; in others, it may be necessary to prepare a new I-20 for you. The signature is typically good for one year of travel unless you have graduated and are on post-completion practical training, in which case it is only valid for 6 months.

The I-20 should be signed each time you leave the U.S. and want to reenter. Every F-1 student or F-2 dependent will need to present these documents to reenter the U.S.:

  • Properly endorsed and valid I-20 form
  • Evidence of financial support
  • Valid passport with a valid U.S. entry visa stamp
  • All previously issued I-20's to document your F-1 history in the U.S.
  • Employment Authorization Document and proof of employment if you are in engaged in optional practical training after completion of studies