Resource and Referral Services
“A Place to Connect, a Goal to Empower”
The goal of the MCTC Resource and Referral Center is to connect our currently enrolled students with supportive community networks, resources and opportunities to ease obstacles interfering with their success.
Through referrals, direct service and outside agency coordination, our students will gain access, information and support to address specific needs and gain self-sufficiency. We connect students to community and government agencies, healthcare providers and other partner organizations to address their immediate and/or long term needs and goals. Students will gain enhanced knowledge of navigating the systems on and off campus, expanding their network of support.
Community resource fairs and workshops are held throughout the year to explore, expand and strengthen ties to the community and provide important resources for students.
Referrals provided through the Center include:
- Emergency shelter
- Supportive/transitional housing resources
- Youth and adult food shelves
- Child care resources
- Parenting support
- Low/reduced or free healthcare
- Counseling support
- Chemical/mental health programs
- County application/benefits
The Center serves students who are:
- Homeless or highly mobile
- Living in transitional housing
- Lacking financial resources (no or limited income)
- Facing eviction
- Fleeing domestic violence
- Lacking a family support system
- In need of mental health and/or chemical treatment assessment, programs or support services
- Needing health insurance, have medical issues or need medical assistance
- Facing other emergency situations
- Students in need of support and advocacy
Resource and Referral Center wish list
Items to support our students facing hardships are distributed by Students Against Hunger and Homelessness (SAHH) in MCTC’s Resource and Referral Center. Donations can be dropped off at the Resource Center. Call 612-659-6709 to make your drop off arrangements.
Following are a few of the items on our wish list:
- New or gently used sweatshirts/pants (all sizes)
- Winter coats and jackets (all sizes)
- Hats and gloves
- New socks (all sizes)
- School Supplies (pens, art supplies, markers, USB drives, notebooks, planners)
- Alarm clocks with batteries
- Bus card (any amount) or bus tokens
- Durable back packs
- Any snack items (crackers, granola bars, fruit snacks, juices)
- Nut butters, jam or jelly
- Hearty soups, noodles
- Personal hygiene items (shampoo, lotion, soap, conditioner, hand sanitizer)
- Dish detergent and laundry soap
- Toilet paper
- Any store gift cards that will allow students to purchase fresh fruits, bread, vegetables and meats
- Monetary donations to help with rental assistance or $49 pay for one week emergency shelter
MCTC students and community volunteers are welcome to volunteer in the Resource and Referral Center. Volunteer opportunities include peer-to-peer advocacy, providing resources and referrals and helping with the food and clothing distribution. If you are not currently an MCTC student and would like to volunteer, please contact the MCTC Foundation.
Current MCTC students should contact SAHH through the Student Life intranet pages to get involved. If you are a current student in need please connect with the Resource and Referral Center through the intranet––simply log in with your Star ID and password.
The MCTC Campus
MCTC is located in the heart of a vibrant city, in an area rich with creative energy and economic activity, corporate headquarters, community organizations, social resources, arts, shops and restaurants. View Image Gallery