FERPA and Student Directory Information
What is FERPA?
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) is a federal law which provides privacy of student education records.
Reference: MCTC Student Records Policy
Under FERPA, certain information is considered public and is called directory information (although MCTC does not actually publish a student directory). Directory information may be disclosed to a third party upon request:
- Student name
- Dates of attendance
- General enrollment status only (full time, half time, or less than half time)
- Graduation or certification
- Field of study (major)
Access to your student records
Would you like to...
Authorization for the Release of Information
If you allow a third party to have access to your private student data, please understand the following:
- The person you authorize must provide photo ID to discuss your private data, the same as if a student were requesting services
- Your consent expires after one year. You can renew your consent by completing a new Authorization for the Release of Information form
Directory information requests
Entire student body
Requests for directory information of the entire student body will be evaluated and then an estimated cost will be provided.
The student directory information that may be released without a student’s signed consent to release information form is listed above (Directory information).
Under the Solomon Amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act (1996), MCTC must provide access to the following information on students to the United States Military:
- Telephone listing
- Date and place of birth
- Level of education
- Academic major
- The educational institution in which the student was most recently enrolled
How to submit a request
Requests for student body directory information or requests from military for directory information should be made in writing and directed to:
In-person: Deliver to the Office of Registration and Records in T.2200
Minneapolis Community and Technical College
Attn: Registrar/Directory Information Request
1501 Hennepin Avenue Minneapolis, MN 55403
Have a question?
Find answers to your questions and ask us!Ask a question