Student Services

Referrals and Resources

In addition to MCTC Resource and Referral services and the Boynton Health Service, we provide the following list to students who need additional resources.

24-hour information and referral

United Way 211

Call or web search for referrals on almost any topic. When using the website, enter the topic you are interested in or scroll down the list of topics and enter your county. You will be given a list of agencies in your area who deal with your topic of interest. A great "one stop shopping" site.

24-hour crisis lines

Crisis Connection

Free and confidential crisis counseling by telephone for topics such as suicide, depression, abuse and family and relationship problems. Referrals to community agencies are available for further assistance.

Crisis Intervention Center and Acute Psychiatric Services

24-hour phone and walk-in service for evaluation and treatment of behavioral emergencies and significant life crisis.

Rape and Sexual Abuse Center

Address: 2431 Hennepin Avenue South, Minneapolis

24-hour phone counseling and advocacy for persons who have been raped or sexually abused. Sliding fee scale.

Crisis Nursery

Emergency childcare to prevent neglect and abuse, crisis intervention for families, family education and a 24-hour hotline for parents in crisis.

Additional resources for referrals to counselors, support groups, etc.

Your health insurance

Your own health insurance provider is often the first place to go for referrals that are covered under your insurance plan. Look on the back of your health insurance card for the mental health services phone number. Call this number and explain what issues you would like assistance with and explain any criteria you are looking for in a mental health counselor (gender, race, religion or other preferences). You will be given names and phone numbers for at least three clinics/counselors in your area that are covered by your insurance.

If you do not have health insurance, or if you would like to explore other options, there are agencies that offer free or low cost options.

Some are listed below:

Tubman's Chrysalis Center

Tubman helps women, children and families struggling with relationship violence, substance abuse and mental health. Throughout the Twin Cities, Tubman provides safe shelter, legal services, counseling, elder care resources, youth programming and community education while guiding and sustaining individuals and families on the journey from chaos and fear to healing and restoration. Some services are free, some operate on a sliding scale and some have a set fee.

Family and Children's Services

Counseling, family support services, violence intervention and educational opportunities.


A treatment center for chemically dependent individuals and families.

Hennepin County

Information on services and programs involving health, housing and other social services for infants, children, adolescents, adults and seniors as well as special groups, such as recent immigrants in Hennepin County.

Mental Health Collective

  • Phone: 612-822-8227
  • Address: 3548 Bryant Avenue South, Minneapolis

Nonprofit, community-based mental health center that provides a variety of mental health services including psychotherapy, education and support services. Sliding fee scale.

The Walk In Counseling Center

  • Phone: 612-870-0565
  • Website:
  • Address: 2421 Chicago Avenue South, Minneapolis
Crisis intervention and short-term counseling to individuals, couples and families. No appointment is necessary during counseling hours. These services are free, but donations are appreciated.