Counselors are available to assist you in the areas of career counseling, personal and crisis issues:
Advisors at MCTC are specialists in the academic areas that they oversee. Students attending MCTC are assigned an advisor for the specific major or program that they are pursuing. This pairing ensures that students get the assistance they need and receive accurate major / program information.
Advisors assist students with the following:
- Navigating college policies and procedures
- Choosing the right courses and planning for completion of your degree
- Clarify life and academic goals and help you achieve them
- Planning for transfer to a four-year college or university
- Problem solving and troubleshooting academic concerns/issues
- Making the best use of resources available to you, both on and off campus
Current students can find office hours and more information about advising on the intranet.
Core values and expectations
Counseling and Advising at MCTC is guided by these core values:
- Students can be responsible for their own behavior.
- Students can be successful as a result of their individual goals and efforts.
- Students have a desire to learn.
- Learning needs vary according to individual skills, goals and experiences.
- Students hold their own beliefs and opinions.
What you can expect from a counselor / advisor
Counselors and advisors at MCTC can help you:
- Go beyond information on course scheduling and registration.
- Access and understand college documents and requirements.
- Assess academic and personal skills and help you improve them.
- Clarify your life and college plans and how you can achieve them.
- Make the best use of the resources that can help you (on campus and off).
What a counselor / advisor expects from you
Advisors at MCTC expect you to:
- Seek them out in a timely manner when you have questions, rather than waiting until the last minute.
- Read and keep official communications from the college and written information from the counselor/advisor.
- Know what you are responsible for (registration, payment of tuition, prerequisites, graduate requirements).
- Use the catalog, class schedule and student handbook.
- Understand college student policies (i.e. student code of conduct, sexual harassment, drug and alcohol, registration related policies and procedures and degree, diploma and certificate requirements).
- Accept final responsibility for your college or educational decisions.
The MCTC Campus
MCTC is located in the heart of a vibrant city, in an area rich with creative energy and economic activity, corporate headquarters, community organizations, social resources, arts, shops and restaurants. View Image Gallery