Paying for College

MCTC Works!

Find out how MCTC can work for you.

  • Find jobs
  • Increase your earning power
  • Save thousands on tuition
  • Transfer credits easily

Join us for our open house:
Tuesday, April 7
Time: 5–7 p.m.
Where: 1501 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis

Apply Today

How to get started:

Summer starts June 1
Apply before May 22

Fall starts Aug. 24
Apply before Aug. 14



A grant is money you do not need to pay back. Most grants to MCTC students are federal or state grants awarded based on financial need. If you submit a FAFSA, you will be automatically considered for some of these grants but some do require additional steps so read the information below carefully to find out if you need to fill out additional paperwork.

Alliss Educational Foundation Grants

This grant helps Minnesota adults go back to school by paying for one liberal-arts course and the related books. An Alliss grant is not based on family income and is available to all new community college students who qualify. You cannot be receiving a federal Pell grant, and the course cannot be developmental or part of a technical program. You pay any course fees. More information about the Aliss Grant can be found here.

What do I need to do?
Submit the application to Business Services before the Last Date to Add/Drop Full Term Courses.

Federal Pell Grant

Federal Pell grants are need-based federal grants. Since the amount is based on the number of credits in which you enroll, courses added after the Last Date to Add/Drop Full Term Courses will not be covered. Students who already have a bachelor’s degree are not eligible. Note: Beginning with the 2012-2013 award year, you can only receive a Pell Grant for up to a maximum of 12 semesters or the equivalent. More information about Pell grants can be found here.

What do I need to do?
Submit a FAFSA.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant

MCTC offers a limited number of grants from $300 to $900 to students who have received a Federal Pell Grant and have exceptional financial need. More information about the Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant can be found here.

What do I need to do?
Submit a FAFSA.

Minnesota State Grant

MCTC students who are Minnesota residents may qualify for these state grants, which are awarded based on financial need and the state’s Shared Responsibility Formula. You must take at least 3 credits to receive an award and at least 15 credits to receive the maximum award.

What do I need to do?
Submit a FAFSA no later than 30 days after a semester starts.

Minnesota Dream Act

The MN Dream Act provides certain benefits to undocumented students who meet the following criteria:

  • Attended a Minnesota high school for at least 3 years; and
  • Graduated from a Minnesota high school or earned a GED in Minnesota; and
  • Complied with Selective Service registration requirements (applies only to male students born 1960 or after); and
  • Provide documentation to show they have applied for lawful immigration status but only if a federal process exists for a student to do so (does not include applying for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals). There is currently not a federal process in place, so this documentation is not currently required.

What do I need to do?
If you are undocumented, you should visit the State of Minnesota, Office of Higher Education Minnesota Dream Act web page. You should NOT complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form, even if you have a Social Security number through Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA).

You may also be interested in the Nadia and Louis Najarro Smith DREAM Act Scholarship for college-age immigrant students offered by the MCTC Foundation. Look under MCTC Foundation Scholarships on our Scholarships web page to find out more or apply.

Post-Secondary Child Care Grant

The Post-Secondary Child Care Grant can help you pay child care costs while attending school. Awards are based on family size and income. You must be a Minnesota resident and enrolled in at least 6 credits. More information about eligibility can be found here.

What do I need to do?
Submit your completed application to the Student Services office, or via email, for the current academic year. The grant is awarded on a first come, first serve basis and funds are limited.

CCAMPIS Child Care Grants

Limited Federal grants are still available for childcare assistance to Pell-eligible students who are not receiving MFIP assistance and are interested in registered, licensed and accredited childcare.

What do I need to do?
Please fill out the application materials and contact your advisor for help:

Authorization for the Release of Student Information
CCampis Checklist
CCampis Application
Work Verification

Military Service Education Benefits

Each branch of the U.S. military has education programs to help members pay for college. To participate in these programs you must meet certain eligibility criteria. There are programs for Minnesotans who are currently active soldiers, veterans, and members of the National Guard or Reserves.

What do I need to do?
Information, instructions and applications


Find out why nearly 14,000 students choose Minneapolis Community and Technical College each year!

Watch Video