Paying for College



How financial aid is paid to you: 

  • A disbursement occurs when your financial aid award exceeds the amount you owe the College. You can use your financial aid disbursement for educational expenses each semester.

    However, if you do not complete your courses, you may be required to pay back a portion of or your entire financial aid award. Plan to have personal funds available to meet rent and deadlines for other bills before your aid is available.
  • You can charge books against your financial aid award if there is a balance available after tuition and fees are paid. If the aid is a loan, it must be processed before you can use the money for books.
  • Any remaining financial aid and student loan funds (overage refunds) owed you will be processed through Higher One Inc. You will need to select your refund preference online.

    Upon receiving your MCTC Choice Card, you can activate your refund preference in three simple steps:

    1. Go to
    2. Enter your card number to get started
    3. Select the refund option that is best for you
  • Overage refunds are processed every Tuesday starting the third week of the term. All loans have at least two disbursements. First time loan borrowers are required to wait 30 days for their first loan disbursement.
  • The College can bill an outside organization or agency for your tuition, fees, bookstore purchases or parking ramp cards. More information on setting up third party billing can be found under Making Your Payment.