MCTC’s Chemistry program utilizes small class sizes and high tech teaching laboratories to give you individual attention and hands-on learning experiences. Chemistry courses give you a strong foundation for health and science career areas, or continuing to a four-year degree.
Program start and location
New students are accepted into this program for fall and spring semesters. Classes take place in the Science Center.
Degree options and requirements
Chemistry A.S. Degree—60 credits
Click here for program and course information.
What you will learn
- You can complete chemistry coursework equivalent to the first two years of a four-year chemistry degree, or coursework that is prerequisite to many pre-professional programs including engineering, medicine, veterinary science, pharmacy, physician’s assistant, physical therapy and biotechnology.
- You will have opportunities to learn state of the art laboratory instrumentation techniques that include gas chromatography, atomic absorption spectroscopy, UV/Vis spectroscopy, microscopy, and IR spectroscopy.
- You will utilize Microsoft Excel to manipulate data and display experimental results.
- You will often work in team settings where you will build confidence and sharpen your oral/written communication and presentation skills.
Points of pride
Click here to read more...
- You will experience chemistry courses where lectures and laboratories are closely aligned and complement one another.
- MCTC laboratories are taught by their corresponding lecture instructors (not T.A.’s).
- You will have access to a wealth of online course-related materials including laboratory handouts, Almost Live Lectures, multimedia laboratory primers and hybrid course alternatives.
Where you could work
- You may transfer to a 4 year college, which prepares you for an entry-level position in many chemical industries.
- You may use your skills to go into other science disciplines, including health sciences, biological sciences and engineering.
Potential job titles
Click here to read more...
- Agricultural Scientist
- Chemical Engineer
A background in chemistry can lead you to a number of rewarding career fields such as medicine, biotechnology or teaching science which offer bright career opportunities.
At MCTC’s Chemistry program, you will have opportunities to join study groups as well as participate in online learning.
This program is part of the Academy of Science and Mathematics. Click here for more information.
Articulation Agreements and Common Course Outlines
Please contact the program dean for information about articulation agreements.
Click here for Common Course Outline information.
Research is Booming at Minnesota's Community Colleges
MCTC students presented their research at an event in the Capitol rotunda. From left to right: MCTC Biotechnology student Felix Meyer, Minnesota Senator Scott Dibble, MCTC Biotechnology student Kendra Prum and MCTC Chemistry and Biotechnology instructor Rekha Ganaganur.Read More
Community College Grads Out-earn Bachelor's Degree Holders
Nearly 30% of Americans with associate's degrees now make more than those with bachelor's degrees, according to Georgetown University's Center on Education and the Workforce. In fact, other recent research in several states shows that, on average, community college graduates right out of school make more than graduates of four-year universities.Read More