In the Biology program, you’ll have the advantage of working in a brand new science building with state of the art technology, equipment and laboratory instruments where you will benefit from small class sizes and excellent instructors committed to teaching a diverse student body.
Program start and location
New students are accepted into this program for fall and spring semesters. Classes take place in the Science Center.
Degree options and requirements
Biology A.S. Degree—60 credits
Click here for program and course information.
What you will learn
- The Biology Associate in Science Degree is specifically designed to prepare you for transfer into the third year of a biology major in a four-year college or university.
- You will have the opportunity to take a comprehensive collection of courses from Principles of Biology Courses and Organic Chemistry to advanced courses where you will be able to choose your focus.
Points of pride
- MCTC is located in close proximity to the University of Minnesota and a number of private colleges where students may transfer after completing their A.S. Degree.
- You will have the opportunity to work with state of the art technology in MCTC’s brand new Science Center.
- Laboratories in MCTC’s Biology program are customized for each course.
- You will have plenty of opportunities for extra support through study groups, tutorials, and various clubs such as the Science Club and the Three Legged Frog Club, a student created environmental group.
Where you could work
- With an A.S. Degree in Biology from MCTC, you can pursue your study at a four-year college or University, which leads to an expansive range of careers in the field of biology and other science related fields
- You can also, after transferring to a four-year college with your A.S. Degree in Biology, pursue a career in teaching or the medical profession.
Potential job titles
Click here to read more...
- Medical Scientist
The demand for workers with a background in Biological Science is ever growing. Depending on your field of interest, you can choose any number of paths that will lead to well paid and fulfilling employment.
In the Biology program, you'll have numerous opportunities to join student groups, and receive additional help through online resources facilitated by MCTC instructors.
This program is part of the Academy of Science and Mathematics. Click here for more information.
Articulation Agreements and Common Course Outlines
Please contact the program dean for information about articulation agreements.
Click here for Common Course Outline information.
Research is Booming at Minnesota's Community Colleges
MCTC students presented their research at an event in the Capitol rotunda. From left to right: MCTC Biotechnology student Felix Meyer, Minnesota Senator Scott Dibble, MCTC Biotechnology student Kendra Prum and MCTC Chemistry and Biotechnology instructor Rekha Ganaganur.Read More
Race to Save the Planet
Race to Save the Planet is an integrated 8-credit block of courses that explores Earth's amazing natural environments and the environmental challenges we face that impact humans and the rest of life. It integrates both Biology and Political Science.Learn More