Race to Save the Planet
Race to Save the Planet is an integrated 8-credit block of courses that explores Earth's amazing natural environments and the environmental challenges we face that impact humans and the rest of life. These courses include Environmental Science (BIOL 1136), Environmental Science Lab (BIOL 1137), Environment, Politics and Society (PSCI 1137) and Reclaiming Democracy (PSCI 1111). A team of two instructors will integrate insights and understandings from these courses and build bridges between the natural and social sciences.
As a student, you will discover connections between current environmental challenges and social/political issues such as poverty, environmental racism, human population growth and consumption. To address these challenges, we will examine solutions that strive to respect all life and all cultures. In addition to participating in a variety of group projects and discussions, coordinated lectures, field trips and lab activities, you will design and implement a public work project to take action on an environmental issue of interest to you.
- Learn and practice skills to take action on environmental and social issues with others in your community.
- Earn credits that satisfy four Goal Areas of the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (Goal Areas 3, 5, 9, 10), providing a pathway to graduation/transfer.
- Learn from integrated readings and small group activities that provide you with deeper understanding of course material, leading to greater academic success.
- Experience hands-on fieldwork in local environments.
- Meet and learn from local environmental organizations, political leaders and sustainability scholars.
- Develop awareness of emerging careers in sustainability-focused fields and/or ways to integrate sustainable practices into any career.
- Develop closer working relationships with peers, instructors and advisors/counselors.
- Understand local/global connections and diverse cultural dimensions of environmental issues.
Placement into READ 1300 or completion of READ 0200 or ESOL 0052; placement into ENGL 1110 or completion of ENGL 0900 or ESOL 0051.
Total number of credits
There are 8 credits for this Learning Community.
Phone: 612-659-6000 x4046
Political Science Instructor
Race to Save the Planet
Race to Save the Planet is an integrated 8-credit block of courses that explores Earth's amazing natural environments and the environmental challenges we face that impact humans and the rest of life. It integrates both Biology and Political Science.Learn More