Psychology, the scientific study of the mind and behavior, is a fascinating and exciting field. The A.A. with emphasis in Psychology at MCTC is flexible; it is designed specifically to help you complete the pre-major requirements needed to transfer and complete a degree in psychology at a four-year institution. In addition to saving money on your overall tuition by starting at MCTC, we believe when you earn an A.A. degree you will have a strong foundation for continuing your education towards advanced degrees.
The faculty in the psychology department are dedicated to providing a high-quality education in the core principles of psychology. We believe in providing a variety of learning opportunities for all students and teaching psychology with the quality you expect from a rigorous program.
We also offer a broad range of introductory and intermediate level courses that meet MnTC requirements and enhance the liberal arts preparation for students in any of the programs at MCTC.
Program start and location
Students are accepted into this program anytime. Courses are offered on MCTC’s main campus as face-to-face or blended (partially online), and some courses are offered fully online.
Degree options and requirements
Associate of Arts with an emphasis in Psychology—60 credits
Click here for program requirements.
What you will learn
- Learn more about yourself and others
- Evaluate evidence about the causes and associations of behavior
- Gain an understanding of the principles of human behavior through different perspectives
- Explore how psychological information may be applied to improve the quality of life
Points of pride
- Our diverse student population provides opportunities to learn about the many approaches and areas of study within psychology while immersed in intercultural contexts.
- An A.A. degree with emphasis in Psychology can open the door to a variety of careers or transfer opportunities.
- Courses in Psychology are designed for you to learn through a variety of activities, including discussion, written assignments and group work and to illustrate competence in areas such as general psychology, life-span development, child and adolescent development, social psychology, abnormal psychology, as well as others.
- Our faculty are experts in the field of Psychology with Master’s and Doctoral Degrees.
Where you could work
- Government agencies
- Nonprofit organizations
- Rehabilitation facilities
- Community centers
- Your own business
Potential job titles
- Psychology Technician
- Healthcare Assistant
- Specialty Psychologist–Child, Clinical, Educational, Forensic, Health, Sports*
*May require further education, training or certification
An education in psychology will help you to better understand more about yourself and those around you. These skills are highly desirable by all employers and can be applied in any workplace. If you choose to continue your studies to become a psychologist, employment is expected to grow by 12 percent by the year 2022, much faster than average employment growth, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Greater demand for psychological services in schools, hospitals, mental health centers, and social services agencies should drive employment growth.
This program is part of the Academy of Liberal Arts and Transfer. Click here for more information.
Articulation Agreements and Common Course Outlines
Click here for articulation agreement information.
Click here for Common Course Outline information.