Psychology, the scientific study of the mind and behavior, is a fascinating and exciting field. The A.A. with emphasis in Psychology at MCTC is flexible; it is designed specifically to help you complete the pre-major requirements needed to transfer and complete a degree in psychology at a four-year institution. In addition to saving money on your overall tuition by starting at MCTC, we believe when you earn an A.A. degree you will have a strong foundation for continuing your education towards advanced degrees.
The faculty in the psychology department are dedicated to providing a high-quality education in the core principles of psychology. We believe in providing a variety of learning opportunities for all students and teaching psychology with the quality you expect from a rigorous program.
We also offer a broad range of introductory and intermediate level courses that meet MnTC requirements and enhance the liberal arts preparation for students in any of the programs at MCTC.
Program start and location
Students are accepted into this program anytime. Courses are offered on MCTC’s main campus as face-to-face or blended (partially online), and some courses are offered fully online.
Degree options and requirements
Associate in Arts with an emphasis in Psychology—60 credits
What you will learn
- Learn more about yourself and others
- Evaluate evidence about the causes and associations of behavior
- Gain an understanding of the principles of human behavior through different perspectives
- Explore how psychological information may be applied to improve the quality of life
Points of pride
- Our diverse student population provides opportunities to learn about the many approaches and areas of study within psychology while immersed in intercultural contexts.
- An A.A. degree with emphasis in Psychology can open the door to a variety of careers or transfer opportunities.
- Courses in Psychology are designed for you to learn through a variety of activities, including discussion, written assignments and group work and to illustrate competence in areas such as general psychology, life-span development, child and adolescent development, social psychology, abnormal psychology, as well as others.
- Our faculty are experts in the field of Psychology with Master’s and Doctoral Degrees.
Where you could work
- Government agencies
- Nonprofit organizations
- Rehabilitation facilities
- Community centers
- Your own business
Potential job titles
- Psychology Technician
- Healthcare Assistant
- Specialty Psychologist–Child, Clinical, Educational, Forensic, Health, Sports*
*May require further education, training or certification
An education in psychology will help you to better understand more about yourself and those around you. These skills are highly desirable by all employers and can be applied in any workplace. If you choose to continue your studies to become a psychologist, employment is expected to grow by 12 percent by the year 2022, much faster than average employment growth, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Greater demand for psychological services in schools, hospitals, mental health centers, and social services agencies should drive employment growth.
This program is part of the Academy of Liberal Arts and Transfer.
Common Course Outlines
Troy Dvorak, An Instructor Who Rocks
Troy Dvorak’s commitment to family, community and teaching brought him back to the Twin Cities. The classroom is where he connects, and he uses everyday experiences unique to MCTC to teach psychology and critical thinking.Read More
Top 10 Must Take Psychology Professors in Minneapolis
"Students do say that Troy Dvorak is a difficult grader and that he doesn’t go easy on them. But they also say he is one of the more interesting lecturers they have ever had and they truly appreciate how invested he is in seeing them succeed."Read More