Associate in Arts with an Emphasis in Communication Studies
The A.A. with emphasis in Communication Studies program is designed to certify you have completed the requirements through the sophomore level for a Baccalaureate degree in Communication at most four-year institutions. Communication Studies majors demonstrate effectiveness in their public speaking, intercultural, interpersonal and small group communication skills with the goal to develop relevant and practical communication abilities in personal and professional contexts.
Program start and location
Students are accepted into this program anytime.
Degree options and requirements
Associate in Arts with an emphasis in Communication Studies—60 credits
Click here for Common Course Outline information.
What you will learn
- You will learn effective public speaking, interpersonal communication, argumentation and advocacy.
- Students will also have the option to take courses in environmental communication, communication and gender, small group communication, intercultural communication and introduction to mass communication.
Points of pride
- Our diverse student population at MCTC provides opportunities to learn about the many approaches and areas of study within communication studies while immersed in intercultural contexts.
- Courses in Communication Studies are often discussion-based, along with assignments, coursework and activities to illustrate competence in areas such as public speaking, interpersonal communication, intercultural communication, small group communication, as well as others.
- Our faculty are experts the field of Communication Studies with Master’s Degrees and many with Doctoral Degrees.
Where you could work
- Graduates often pursue careers in advertising, marketing, media, public relations, communication education, journalism, theater and performance arts, social and human services, government, politics, social science and humanities.
- Effective communication, critical thinking and problem solving skills have been identified by CEOs as the most desirable attributes of employees.
- Communication Studies curriculum is excellent preparation for further studies in a variety of fields.
The A.A. in Communication Studies program will provide a solid foundation on which you can continue onto a four-year institution with a variety of major options. This degree will enhance any area of study and partners exceptionally well with degrees in communication, public relations, advertising, marketing, business, law and education.
- You may choose to join the Communication Club which builds community among Communication Studies students.
- If you have at least a 3.0 overall GPA in Communication Studies, and a 2.5 GPA overall, you may be invited to join the Communication Studies honor society Sigma Pi Eta.
Potential job titles
- Account Manager
- Advertising Specialist
- Sales Representative
- News Writer
- Social Worker
- Human Rights Officer
This program is part of the Academy of Liberal Arts and Transfer. Click here for more information.
Common Course Outlines