In MCTC's Barbering program, you will gain practical experience serving diverse clientele under the direction of an instructor with more than 25 years of experience. The program provides you with all the training you need to take the Minnesota State Barber Board Apprentice Exam.
Program start and location
New students are no longer being accepted to this program. Classes take place in the Technical Building.
Degree options and requirements
Please select the award below to view the degree options and requirements in the college catalog.
Barbering Diploma—56 credits
What you will learn
- You will be instructed in all skills related to barbering: contemporary haircutting and styling, shaving, facials, massage, chemical services, scalp treatments and hairpieces.
- To ensure the health and well-being of yourself and your customers, you will learn proper sanitation and hygiene practices, safety measures and first-aid techniques.
- You also will study business and professional ethics, shop management and anatomy.
Points of pride
- The program reaches out to all ethnic groups. Serving a diverse student body, you will gain experience working with all kinds of hair and skin types.
- You will get your own chair as you work on customers under the guidance of an experienced instructor.
Where you could work
- Upon completion of the program, you will be prepared to take the Minnesota State Barber Board Apprentice Exam, which after passing allows you to practice in Minnesota and states with reciprocity.
- You can work at a barber shop, a salon or a spa.
- You can own your own salon, work from home or rent a chair space in a salon.
- You can also find work in nursing homes.
Potential job titles
Jobs in this field are expected to rise faster than average, according to the Department of Labor. Growth in jobs for appearance workers is expected to rise by 20 percent by 2018. Nearly half of all barbers and cosmetologists are self-employed. Opportunities are best for those who are licensed in a broad range of services.
The Barbering program offers you the opportunity to gain experience working in a barbering clinic, where you will fine-tune your skills and serve diverse customers under the direction of an experienced instructor.
This program is part of the Academy of Business and Service. Click here for more information.
Articulation Agreements, Common Course Outlines and Gainful Employment Information
Please contact the program dean for information about articulation agreements.
Click here for Common Course Outline information.
Click here for Gainful Employment information.
Community College Grads Out-earn Bachelor's Degree Holders
Nearly 30% of Americans with associate's degrees now make more than those with bachelor's degrees, according to Georgetown University's Center on Education and the Workforce. In fact, other recent research in several states shows that, on average, community college graduates right out of school make more than graduates of four-year universities.Read More