Personal Trainer Certification
Offered in partnership with World Instructor Training Schools (W.I.T.S.)
See our course schedule for upcoming Personal Trainer Certification and other fitness industry courses.
Contact us at 612-659-6500 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Visit the W.I.T.S. website for complete details on the Personal Trainer Certification program or call 888.330.WITS.
- Classroom and practical training and experience
Since its inception in 1993, the World Instructor Training Schools has raised the bar for certification. Rather than just written tests, workforce standards were developed and correlated with LIVE hands-on training to mirror established medical and health profession board exams. The 6- and 9-week format allows students to learn and practice, which prepares graduates to successfully execute operational essentials to help clients be their best with the lifestyle changes they need.
- Approved for college credits and international continuing education unit
- W.I.T.S. offers programs at hundreds of colleges and universities across the country and is a recognized education provider by the American Council on Education (ACE) and International Association of Continuing Education and Training (IACET.)
- W.I.T.S. has successfully completed rigorous quality assurance processes and received approval and recognition for college credit and continuing education units (CEUs) for most certifications.
- W.I.T.S. has raised the bar for comprehensive program credibility
W.I.T.S. rejects the fitness industry’s traditional problematic home study and weekend crash certifications. Our curriculum has been developed and updated by education and fitness industry leaders and is taught by experienced instructors with education and fitness backgrounds and credentials. We hire the best professionals who will facilitate learning and communicate their passion for making a living helping others.
- Practical hands-on training and application
W.I.T.S. wants its graduates to feel confident in their competence as a personal trainer. Knowledge is power but only if you know how to apply it. W.I.T.S. will walk you through every step under the watchful eye of a LIVE instructor each week. Your student workbook includes a library of resources for you to use and weekly pop quizzes will help make sure you are digesting the material.
- Comprehensive, validated testing
W.I.T.S. graduates possess the theoretical knowledge and practical skills required to be a successful fitness professional. Similar to the medical profession, you will complete two exams to receive your certification:
W.I.T.S is an official affiliate of the National Board of Fitness Examiners (NBFE)
- Written: 100 multiple-choice questions. 70% or better required.
- Practical skills: You must demonstrate five skills properly, including health assessments, warm-up, stretching, upper body and lower body exercises. The practical exam is “live” using a mock client and role-play. 70% or better required in each section.
- Direct connection to employment
- W.I.T.S has established partnerships with health clubs, recreation centers, wellness studios and gyms across the nation to serve as internship sites for our students.
- Once you have passed your exams, you will complete a 30-hour internship in the field, which will enable you fine tune your skills for employment, receive a great reference and possibly a job!
Frequently asked questions
1. Who will I be certified through?
After successfully passing the course and internship, you will be internationally certified through the World Instructor Training Schools (W.I.T.S.), a leader in the field.
2. Is there a test given or is this a prep class?
There is a 2-part exam given in the final week of the course. The testing fee for original test date is included in the tuition. You will become a Nationally Certified Personal Trainer after successfully passing the written and practical tests and completing the internship and CPR/AED requirements.
3. Is W.I.T.S. an accredited organization?
W.I.T.S. is approved and recognized by many higher learning institutions out of Washington, DC. Some of the organizations include the American Council on Education (ACE,) the International Association of Continuing Education and Training (IACET,) the Board of Certification (BOC) for Athletic Trainers, the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA,) the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB,) and the Veterans Education and Training Administration (VA.)
4. Is a text book required?
Yes, we require a fantastic resource called the Fitness Professionals Handbook 7th Ed. You should order it in advance from Amazon Books or from www.witseducation.com for $106.97; an eBook is also available for $53.
5. When is the CPR/AED card and internship due?
The CPR / AED can be completed anytime before, during or after the certification course. You have 12 months to do so.
6. Is the internship provided?
We send our students a courtesy list of pre-approved facilities to assist with finding an internship location. However, if you prefer an alternate location, approval may be obtained with a simple process. Ultimately, it is the student’s responsibility to contact and complete the internship.
7. How long is my certification good for?
Your certification is valid for 2-years with a renewal process that is described on our website. Every reputable certification requires continuing education in their health occupation industry.
8. Is there job placement?
A majority of the students get hired directly from their internship sites and W.I.T.S. provides a list of available sites. We do not directly assist in securing the job, but the demand is high and we regularly receive monthly requests from the clubs for a list of graduates. This networking with local employers is a unique service provided only by W.I.T.S.
9. What if I miss a day of class or the testing date?
In the 6 Week Course you are allowed to miss 1 lecture and 1 lab class only and still qualify to take the exams. In the 9 week course you are allowed to miss 2 lectures and 2 lab classes only and still qualify to take the exams. Students missing 1 class over the allowance will have the following options: complete the online module make-up class for a nominal fee of $50 or audit a future class if space allows and in accordance with the college policy. If you miss more than allowance, you must make up those classes upon approval from the college. There may be fees at some colleges or practical lab sites. If the student happens to miss the original exam date they will need to take the core exam online at a Prometric Testing Center. Practical exam make up can be done with a future course at no additional cost within 12 months.
10. What happens if I don't pass?
W.I.T.S allows students 2 chances to retest within 12 months of the original course start date. Core exams will be tested online through a Prometric testing center. We offer 5-national practical retest dates to help you successfully pass the practical exam and achieve your goals. There is a $75 fee per exam (additional site fee may apply). If student does not pass within the 12 month period they will need to register and take the entire course again.