What is the Power of YOU?
The Power of YOU is designed to make your dream to attend college within reach. The program covers the cost of tuition and fees for two years or up to 72 credits at Minneapolis Community and Technical College (MCTC) or Saint Paul College through state and federal grants and private scholarships. The Power of YOU supports as many students as possible based on student need and funds available for the program.
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Graduate in 2015 from one of the following schools:
- Minneapolis public, alternative, or participating charter high school
- Saint Paul public, alternative, or participating charter high school
- Brooklyn Center
- Columbia Heights
- Destination: Diploma to Degree (successful participants)
- Henry Sibley Senior High
- North Senior High (North St. Paul)
- Robbinsdale Cooper
- Roseville Area Senior High
- Simley Senior High
- South St. Paul Senior High
- Tartan Senior High
- Woodbury Senior High
- Meet the criteria to apply for federal financial aid (FAFSA).
- Meet the family adjusted gross income cap of $75,000.
- Take the assessment tests and score above ABE in two or more placements.
- Complete the application process by May 1, 2015.
- If accepted to the Power of YOU program, you must submit your final high school transcript or a copy of your high school diploma.
A college education is an important and necessary step to reach your personal and career goals. By 2010, two-thirds of the jobs will require education and skills beyond high school.
How will the Power of YOU help me succeed in college?
- Along with awarded federal and state grant dollars, the Power of YOU will enable you to attend college tuition-free.
- Advising and support services are provided to help students achieve success in college. Our services support students in making the transition to college, and developing critical skills to perform academically and grow personally.
- The program provides opportunities for students to engage with their peers, faculty and professional staff.
- The Power of YOU program helps students integrate what they learn in the classroom with activities outside of the classroom.
Power of YOU Students Make Blankets
MCTC Power of YOU (POY) students made blankets to donate to Interfaith Outreach and Community Partners before the winter holidays. POY students perform 20 hours of volunteering each semester.View Photos
Academic success and commitment to community
MCTC student Nik Linde uses his mentoring experiences as a launchpad to success.Read More
Getting a college education seemed out of reach for Korey Southerland due to her challenging life circumstances. Through the Power of YOU program at MCTC, she found the courage to pursue her dreams of earning a bachelor's degree and making a valuable contribution to society.Read More