International Transfer Student
If you are currently enrolled at another U.S. college/university or English language school/institute and you are seeking to transfer to MCTC to enroll in courses to complete a degree, please complete the following process for admission to the college. To be eligible you must already have a Form I-20 issued by the school you are presently attending. To be admitted as an international student on an F-1 Student Visa you must be degree seeking and attend full-time (minimum of 12 credits). Students are eligible to apply for admission to the fall, spring or summer session.
To be considered for admission you must complete the following steps and submit all required documentation by the published International Student INSIDE of the U.S. Admissions Deadline. With the exception of the online application form, all forms and documentation requested must be submitted together in one packet by or before the application deadline to the address listed below.
Complete and submit the International Student Orientation Worksheet.
OPTIONAL: Complete and submit Release of Information Form for International Applicants. Minneapolis Community and Technical College complies with federal and state laws and regulations. Unless required by federal or state law, no one else may review an applicant's file without written and signed consent of the applicant. An applicant has the right to grant permission to disclose or discuss information regarding their information with someone other than them self. In order to grant permission, an applicant must complete and submit the Release of Information for International Student Applicants form. Completion and submission of this form is optional. Completion and submission of this form also means an applicant is giving their consent freely and voluntarily and understands the consequences of granting their consent to another party.
- Print the International Admissions Checklist for Students Seeking to Transfer to MCTC from Another School in the U.S.
- Complete and submit online International Online Application.
- Pay the one-time $20 nonrefundable application fee. Submit a check or money order payable in U.S. dollars to MCTC along with your application materials. Do not send cash. Please note that you cannot pay your application fee online. Your application file will not be reviewed until your application fee has been paid.
- Meet academic requirements for international students.
- Complete testing or courses to demonstrate proficiency in English and meet academic requirements for international students.
- Submit official copies of all previous college/university transcripts. If the transcript is not in English, it must be translated into English by an evaluation agency or you must provide a certified, literal translation. Visit the Registrar’s webpage for further information regarding transfer of your previous college credits.
- Complete and submit the Financial Certification Statement form. Your estimated expenses must show that you have funding for one full calendar year.
- Complete and submit the Immunization Record for International Students.
- Submit a photocopy of current passport.
- Submit a photocopy of current visa.
- Submit a copy of current I-94. You may print off the I-94 at the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol website or submit a copy of the white (I-94) card attached to your passport and submit with application materials.
- Submit a photocopy of current I-20 form.
- Submit completed F-1 Transfer Authorization form. This form is completed by you and the DSO (Designated Student Officer) at your current college/university.
- Complete Placement Testing and meet minimum placement test score requirements as follows:
Please send your completed forms and all supporting documentation to:
Admissions – Attn: International Student Admission
Minneapolis Community and Technical College
1501 Hennepin Avenue – Suite T.2200
Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A. 55403
You will receive a letter about your admission status within 30 business days of the application deadline or our receipt of your complete application. MCTC will not release the application decision over the phone to anyone, including applicants/students.
If you are admitted to the college, your SEVIS record will be transferred to MCTC and you will be issued a new I-20 form. Upon admission you must sign up and attend New Student Orientation and Registration (Orientation). Information will be provided in your acceptance letter. You will register for your first term classes during your on-campus Orientation session. It is strongly recommended that you complete your Orientation as soon as possible after admission for best class selection. If you are a new full-time student who has an F-1 Student Visa, you must also attend an international student orientation meeting. Information on this event will be in your letter of acceptance to the college. You MUST sign up and complete Orientation before the start of the term in order to register for your first term courses. Refer to the Admissions Calendar for the last date of New Student Orientation/Registration.