If you are currently residing in a foreign country and seeking an F-1 Student Visa to enroll in courses at MCTC to complete a degree, please complete the following process for admission to the college. To be admitted as an international student on an F-1 Student Visa you must be degree seeking and attend full-time (minimum of 12 credits). Students are eligible to apply for admission to the fall or spring semester.
To be considered for admission you must complete the following steps and submit all required documentation by the published International Student OUTSIDE of the U.S. Admissions Deadline. With the exception of the online application form, all forms and documentation requested must be submitted together in one packet by or before the application deadline to the address listed below.
- Print the International Admissions Checklist for Prospective Students Residing Outside of the U.S.
- Complete and submit Online Application for International Student admission.
- Pay the one-time $20 nonrefundable application fee. Submit a check or money order payable in U.S. dollars to MCTC along with your application materials. Do not send cash. Please note that you cannot pay your application fee online. Your application file will not be reviewed until your application fee has been paid.
- Complete the testing or courses to show proficiency in English and meet academic requirements for international students.
- Complete and submit the Financial Certification Statement form. Your estimated expenses must show that you have funding for one full calendar year.
- Complete and submit the Immunization Record for International Students.
- If available, submit a photocopy of current passport.
- OPTIONAL: Complete and submit Release of Information Form for International Applicants. Minneapolis Community and Technical College complies with federal and state laws and regulations. Unless required by federal or state law, no one else may review an applicant's file without written and signed consent of the applicant. An applicant has the right to grant permission to disclose or discuss information regarding their information with someone other than them self. In order to grant permission, an applicant must complete and submit the Release of Information for International Student Applicants form. Completion and submission of this form is optional. Completion and submission of this form also means an applicant is giving their consent freely and voluntarily and understands the consequences of granting their consent to another party.
Please send your completed forms and all supporting documentation in ONE envelope to:
Admissions – Attn: International Student Admission
Minneapolis Community and Technical College
1501 Hennepin Avenue – Suite T.2500
Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A. 55403
You will receive a letter about your admission status within 30 business days of the application deadline or our receipt of your complete application. MCTC will not release the application decision over the phone to anyone, including applicants/students.
If you are not already in the U.S., you should plan to arrive no later than one month (30 days) prior to the start of the semester in order to complete your placement test and attend New Student Orientation to register for courses. If you are already in the U.S., you must complete the placement test requirement prior to the application deadline and attend New Student Orientation and Registration after you have been admitted to the college. To study for the placement test and for Testing Center hours and information. You must complete placement testing BEFORE Placement Testing Ends prior to the start of the term as indicated on the enrollment calendar. You will register for your classes during an orientation session on campus. It is strongly recommended that you complete your placement testing and New Student Orientation and Registration as soon as possible upon arrival for best class selection. If you are a new full-time student who has an F-1 Student Visa, you must also attend an international student orientation meeting. Information on this event will be in your letter of acceptance to the college.