College Policy 8.08
Part 1. Policy Purpose
This policy defines the College's position related to informational postings in Minneapolis Community and Technical College buildings and provides a systematic process that facilitates the posting of appropriate communications in appropriate areas. The College's objective is to inform employees and students of College guidelines and procedures for posting information items that are designed to facilitate the achievement of institutional goals and objectives.
While the College recognizes that campus postings are an integral part of communication within the College community, it is also committed to ensuring clean, neat and well-maintained facilities and preventing damage to College property. Therefore, no materials are to be posted on walls, skyway wall space, doors, glass, windows, columns, stairwells, railings, bathroom stalls, or any other permanent structure of College facility, with the exception of designated bulletin boards or posting boards. Any material posted on these structures shall be immediately removed by Public Safety.
Part 2. Types of Postings
The College permits the following types of postings within its buildings in accordance with this established policy and posting authorization process:
Subpart A. Faculty Discipline or Programs for academic-related postings
Bulletin Boards shall be provided for Academic Departments and Programs for academic-related postings. Academic Department Bulletin Boards shall be located near the associated faculty office suite and shall be used to provide information relevant to the discipline and College. The faculty coordinator is responsible for approval, placement and removal of all materials on Academic Department Bulletin Boards.
Subpart B. Employee Postings
Employees may, in accordance with this policy, place postings on campus for the purpose of providing relevant, College-related information to the College community and publicizing a College-related event. Employees must obtain approval from the Director of Marketing before placing any posting on campus and must use appropriate bulletin boards, posting boards or stanchions as determined by the Director of Marketing. The Director of Marketing shall ensure that each posting is placed in an appropriate, designated space and meets the requirements for all college postings as set forth in Part 3 of this policy.
Subpart C. Student Postings
Students may, in accordance with this policy, place postings on campus for the purpose of providing relevant, College-related information to the College community and publicizing a College-related or student sponsored event. Students must obtain approval from the Director of Student Life before placing any posting on campus and must use appropriate bulletin boards, posting boards or stanchions as determined by the Director of Student Life. The Director of Student Life shall ensure that each posting is placed in an appropriate, designated space and meets the requirements for all College postings as set forth in Part 3 of this policy.
Subpart D. General Information/Advertising
Employees, students and external parties may utilize designated general purpose bulletin boards on campus. Such bulletin boards shall be clearly identified as "General Purpose" Bulletin Boards and shall be available for advertising, information and publicizing community events.
Subpart E. Legally Required Postings
A bulletin board will be placed outside of Human Resources and will display legally required postings for the Human Resources and Legal Affairs departments. Each department will be responsible for posting their information and staying in compliance with Part 3 of this policy.
Subpart F. Union Postings
Bulletin Boards will be provided for each union. The union representative on campus will be responsible for posting the information on the bulletin board and for meeting the requirements for all College postings as set forth in Part 3 of this policy.
Subpart G. Temporary Notices
The College recognizes that it in order to do business, employees occasionally must post temporary notices on office or classroom doors, indicating changes, class cancellations, or office closings. Such postings must be made in a neat and orderly fashion and must not be posted in a manner which damages College property. Temporary notices must be removed immediately after their purpose has been served.
Part 3. General Regulations for Posting
All postings will conform to the following regulations:
- All postings, with the exception of General Information/Advertising or Temporary Notices, must be approved (signed, stamped, and dated) by the individual or department with responsibility as set forth in Part 2.
- Postings must include name of the sponsoring organization, department, and responsible individual with contact information.
- Postings must be placed on designated bulletin boards, posting boards or stanchions as provided by the individual or department with responsibility as set forth in Part 2. Absolutely no materials are to be posted on walls, skyway wall space, doors, glass, windows, columns, stairwells, railings, bathroom stalls, or any other permanent structure of the College.
- Materials must not violate College policy or federal, state, or local laws.
- Event related materials may be posted one week in advance of the activity.
- Posted items are to remain within the perimeter of the bulletin board.
- Posted items shall be no larger than 8 ½ x 11 unless otherwise approved.
- Posted items should not cover any other posted material.
- Only one posting for the same event may be posted per board.
Part 4. General Regulations for Posting Removal
- Normally, all postings will be removed within 24 hours after the activity.
- In the event that directions are necessary to be temporarily posted to facilitate access/egress -- directions must be removed immediately afterwards.
- Information items not posted within board perimeter will be removed by the Facilities staff, Administration, and/or Public Safety officers.
- Informational items posted within board perimeter without authorization will be removed by the Facilities staff, Administration and/or Public Safety officers.
Part 5. Violation of Posting Policy
Repeated violation of the posting policy may result in revocation of posting privileges or disciplinary action.
Date effective: 8/24/2004
Date last amended: 8/24/2004