College Policy 3.14
The Technical Education Guarantee
Starting July 1, 1994, all new students fall under the provisions of the state's Technical Education Guarantee. The guarantee specifies that any graduate of a MnSCU approved AAS degree program, Diploma program, or Certificate program who is judged by his/her employer to be lacking in technical job skills will be provided up to 12 quarter (9 semester) credits of tuition-free instruction. The following standards apply to the degree:
Part 1. Graduate Qualifying Conditions
- The graduate had enrolled for the first time in an approved AAS degree program, Diploma program or Certificate program after July 1, 1994.
- The graduate must be employed full-time in a job related to his/her program of study (determined by the MnSCU definition of related placement). The student must become employed in such job within one year of graduation.
- Within 90 days of the graduate's initial employment, to initiate the guarantee, the employer must contact the college of graduation in writing, stating the specific technical skills in which the graduate lacks competence. The skills must align with the syllabi in effect at the time of the graduate's enrollment.
Part 2. Retraining Expectations
- A written retraining plan will be developed cooperatively by the appropriate college personnel, the employer, and the graduate.
- Retraining is limited to 12 quarter (9 semester) credits of instruction related to the identified technical skill deficiencies. Failure, withdrawal, audit, and successful completion of a course all count towards the credit limit for retraining.
- Retraining is normally accomplished by slotting students into regularly scheduled courses. If necessary, however, customized training may be set up for the student.
- Either the graduate or his/her employer will bear the costs of books, supplies, uniforms, transportation, insurance, and other related costs.
Part 3. Guarantee Outcomes
The guarantee does not imply that the graduate will pass any licensing or qualifying examination for a particular occupation.
Date effective: 7/1/1999
Date last amended: 7/1/1999