Private College Transfer Fair
If you are an MCTC student planning to transfer within the next two years then the Transfer Fair is for you!
Representatives from 4-year colleges and universities will be recruiting MCTC students for their institutions. They will be available between 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. and 1 - 3 p.m. in the T Building Skyway. The Colleges and Universities that have been invited include: Augsburg College, Concordia University – St. Paul, Hamline University, Iowa State University, Macalester College, Metropolitan State University, Minneapolis College of Art and Design (MCAD), MSU-Mankato, North Central University, Saint Cloud State University, Saint Mary’s University, The University of North Dakota, The University of Wisconsin – Madison, Winona State University, and many others.
What should you do as a student?
- Think of which qualities are important for you in a college.
- Take some time to read and choose some of the following questions to ask to the college representatives.
- Come to the transfer fair and ask your questions.
Questions about programs
- Do you offer my major?
- Is my degree program accredited - by whom and at what level?
- Can I enroll part-time or take courses in the evenings, weekends, or in the summer?
- Do you have an honors program for students who enter with high grades?
Will I be eligible for Admissions?
- What are your admission requirements for transfer students?
- How do you determine my grade if I repeat a course?
- Will a course in which I received a "D" grade count?
- Are there admissions priorities of transfer students from community colleges?
How do I apply for Admissions?
- When can I first apply? What is your application deadline?
- When do I have to submit transcripts, test scores and other admissions materials?
- Is my major overcrowded with many applicants? If so, what special requirements do I need?
How much does your college cost?
- What are the costs of tuition, books and supplies, housing, parking, etc.?
- When do I pay those fees?
- Do I have to send in a deposit to confirm my intention to enroll? How much? When?
Is Financial Aid Available?
- When and how should I apply for financial aid?
- Do I apply for scholarships separately? When?
- Will financial aid cover my entire need?
- When will I be notified if I will or will not receive assistance?
- Are there special kinds of assistance for students from underserved groups?
- Is it easy to get a part-time job on campus or in the community?
How do my courses transfer?
- Is it preferred that I have a degree before transferring (A.A., A.S., A.A.S.)?
- Are there specific prerequisites I should take at MCTC before transferring?
- Does the MN Transfer Curriculum transfer as a package to your institution?
- If I complete a degree at MCTC, could the courses transfer as a package to be ready for junior or senior level courses?
What is your campus and community like?
- Are you on the semester or quarter system? When do classes begin?
- What kinds of social, cultural and recreational activities are available?
- How far away is your campus? How much time does it take to get there?
- Will I need a car to get around? Does public transportation (bus) provide easy access to the campus and community?
- How many students are enrolled? In my major? From my community/school?
What else do I need to know?
- How do I make arrangements to take a tour of your campus?
- Do you have an open house program for prospective transfer students?
- When and whom do I contact for more information?